«Chapter 28»

T H I R D   P E R S O N   P O V

Weeks passed, and with Bucky around, Anna felt more at ease than she could remember ever feeling. He was there to help her out if she had had dreams with vague memories. He helped her deal with her PTSD, triggers, and never-ending paranoia. And he helped with the dishes, which was really nice too. 

He had refused to ever take the bed from her, saying that she needed to rest. He had slept crappy nights on the uncomfortable couch, but after a couple of weeks, he had gotten used to it, and it was fine now. 

Anna liked having him around. They woke up together. They made breakfast together. They went to the store together. They took walks together. They had dinner together. Bucky felt like he was making up for lost time while Anna needed him to keep her from turning into the monster she had once been. 

Winter had passed, and the snow had vanished. Spring was just around the corner, but the icy air had yet to make room for the warmer breezes. 

As Anna lay in bed, her mind was tormented with terrors. Her eyes shot from side to side under her eyelids as her fists tightly gripped the sheets. With her eyebrows scrunched together, a thin film of sweat formed on her skin. 

With bombs exploding in the background, she entered the building with stealth. Her hand was wrapped around the handle of her gun as her finger was on the trigger. She had taken off the safety long before she entered. Three men were behind her, shooting anyone who saw them. The building was empty except for the office room on the second floor. Anna motioned to the men behind her to spread out and they nodded, disappearing into the shadows. 

Anna sneaked up the stairs and heard a vague voice behind the door. One voice. She slightly rose up and peeked through the glass of the door. It was so dark, the person would never be able to see her. It was a man. Mid-forties. He was with his back to the door and he was on the phone, talking to someone in Polish. 

"I know the shipment is late, but I promise, it's coming," he said to whoever was on the other side of the phone. "I give you my word, it'll be there at the end of the week, and if not, I'll double it for free." 

Anna pushed down the door handle without a sound and when she stepped inside, the floor creaked. The man shot up and turned around, his dark eyes wide. Anna reacted quick, wrapping her hand around his throat and pushing him against the wall. His mouth moved but she didn't hear his words. She clenched her fist tighter and rose him from the floor. He pulled at her hand, but her metal grip didn't loosen. 

"Anna!" 

"Anna, please!" 

"It's me! Anna!" 

She blinked profusely as her head pounded. Black spots danced in front of her eyes and she felt her human hand tremble. Something grabbed at her left arm and she opened her eyes fully, realising she was not in the empty building. She was not in the man's office, about to eliminate her target and finish her mission. 

Her hand was wrapped around Bucky Barnes' throat. And she was killing him. 

Gasping, she immediately let go and he dropped to the ground. He was coughing and wheezing loudly as he held his hand on his throat. 

Anna backed away, shaking her head as tears leaked from her eyes. She was shaking from top to bottom as she realised what she had done. 

"Anna..." Bucky panted. "Anna, it's not your fault. This wasn't you." 

"I hurt you," she said shakily. "I could've killed you." 

"You didn't. I'm fine! I promise." He pushed himself up and stepped toward her. 

"No! Don't come near me. Stay away from me!" She held up her hands, her voice cracking as she spoke. 

"Anna..." he said softly. "It's okay. I'm alright." 

Anna breathed heavily as she put her hands in her hair. "They're in my head," she cried. "I can't escape them." 

Bucky slowly stepped closer and she didn't back away this time. "I'll help you," he said. 

She looked at him. "You can't." 

He reached for her face and she flinched as his hands cupped her cheeks. She stared at him with wide eyes. "Yes, I can. You just have to let me in." 

His soothing voice broke her and she fell into his arms, sobbing and crying. "Make it stop. Please, make it stop," she pleaded desperately and Bucky's heart broke. All he could do was hold her, and keep her from falling apart any more. 

"It's okay. It's okay. I've got you. I'm not going anywhere," he repeated. "I'm so sorry I can't take it all away, but I promise, I'm not leaving you. I'm never leaving you." 

Her choking sobs quieted down to soft whimpers as she clung to him for dear life. His arms were tightly wrapped around her body that felt fragile to him. 

Bucky pulled back, taking her face in his hands. His heart ached at the sight of her tear-stained face, but at the same time, he thought she was the most beautiful girl in the world. He brushed the strands of hair out of her face and smiled softly. 

Then, he did something that could make the situation a hundred times worse or a thousand times better. 

He kissed her.

She jolted at the unexpected move but quickly leaned into the kiss. Her muscles relaxed as fireworks exploded in her stomach and suddenly, she was back in the 40s on the front step of her apartment. Her heart pounded so loudly that she thought he could hear it. His lips felt soft against her own, but she could feel the passion surging through her body. 

He pulled back after what felt like a million years. Both breathed heavily as Anna rested her forehead against his. "I-I'm sorry, I don't know why I did that..." Bucky whispered. 

Instead of replying, Anna shortly kissed his lips again.

He smiled and stepped back. "C'mon," he said softly, taking her hand and taking her back to her mattress. Instead of leaving her there, he got into bed with her and she placed her head on his chest as he drew figures on her arm. She listened to his heartbeat as his strong arms were around her. 

Slowly but surely, Anna's mind calmed enough to the point where she could only think of one thing. The feeling of his lips on her own.

She suddenly felt how tired she was, and her eyes drooped shut. Before she was carried off to sleep, she whispered, "I'm sorry."