Chapter 1

Chapter 1:

Selena’s POV:

“Mommy hurry up so we can go meet Mace!” Kaylie, my four year old daughter whined.

“Mommy will be done in a bit.” I said getting annoyed as I wrapped a piece of my hair around the curling wand. Kaylie huffed and walked out the bathroom, I’m guessing either to her room, my room, or downstairs.

Right now I was getting ready to go meet my friend Mason. Mason and I instantly became friends as soon as I moved to New York when I accidently spilled his coffee on his shirt and that’s also when I found out he and I were attending the same college saying, “I knew you looked familiar.” Turns out we had math together.

“Kaylie getting on your nerves?” Layne—my moms long time bestfriend asked as she appeared in the doorway.

“Yes.” I groaned. “For the past hour.” I continued.

“Maybe it would have been a good idea for you to get finished first.” Layne began. “Because now that Kaylie is done first—she’s ready to go.” Layne chuckled.

“Yeah, I’ll remember that next time.” I laughed as I wrapped the last piece of hair around the curling wand for a few seconds then let it fall loose along with the others. Once I was satisfied I sprayed hair spray around my full tight curls then combed my fingers through them making them fall a little.

I checked my appearance in the mirror one last time, making sure my make hasn’t smeared and there was no hair sticking out of place.

I walked into my room seeing Kaylie sitting on my bed reading her book, and Layne followed behind me while I walked over to the full length mirror checking my outfit. I wore a nude sleeveless top, with coral jeans and paired it with simple nude pumps.

“If you’re just meeting Mason, why are you getting so dressed up Selena?” Layne asked raising her eyebrow.

“Oh no reason.” I said letting it roll off my shoulder.

Truth was I still had little feelings for Mason. Our sophomore year of college we decided to take things to the next level, and he was one of the best relationships. He always treated me like a princess—and even better he was a great “father figure” to Kaylie, even though he wasn’t really her father. Kaylie knew Mason wasn’t her real father, but she didn’t care. Mason was the closest thing to a father she had.

I grabbed a black leather jacket that was on the back of a chair that was in the corner of my room and placed it on before I grabbed my purse making sure I had my phone the keys to the apartment—just in case Layne was sleep when Kaylie and I returned home.

“You still like Mason—don’t you?” Layne asked looking at me.

“Of course I do. We dated and he was the best ‘father’ to Kaylie.” I said using air quotes around father. “C’mon Kaylie, time to go.” I said.

Kaylie snapped her head up and her face lit up. “YAY MACE!” She yelled happily jumping off the bed. She walked over to me and I adjusted her little button up jacket making sure her outfit was okay. Kaylie was wearing her favorite Elmo shirt, with black leggings, and black combat boots along with a camouflage army jacket and her hair was also in curls. Let’s just say my daughter as an awesome style thanks to her mom.

“We might be a little late coming home Layne.” I said as Kaylie and I walked down the stairs with Layne trailing behind us.

“Well you got the key right?” She asked. I turned around and nodded my head. “Have fun—but not too much fun.” She chuckled.