A Shot In The Dark

Thank you all for all the views, votes and comments! I love reading your comments! Here's a long chapter for you! Things are escalating.

- - - - - -

Laura's POV:
Carmilla and I had been spending a little more time together than we had planned. On Saturday we got our project sorted out then ended up watching movies at my place afterwards. After our english class Monday we had coffee at my favorite bench before I had to go to my usual session. She seems a little off everytime I tell her I have to see my dad in the hospital , I couldn't really blame her. I was lying after all. She never questioned it though, just offered to walk me to the hospital afterwards. Since she had work on Tuesday we didn't see each other till late that night. We had coffee again and spoke about her day. Wednesday she insisted I visit her during her lunch break at work. Due to my usual Wednesday session I had to decline which only made her a little more off about the 'visiting dad' excuse. She called me a 'daddy's girl' which only made me promise to nudge her next time I see her. Thursday through Saturday I had spent with myself kind of avoiding Carmilla because of my lack of control over my chemo side effects this week. I also felt like I needed a little space from Carmilla. We had been spending enough time together, or more than I had wanted to before I got to know her a little better. It's not that I didn't want to see her, wait. I mean, I didn't mind her company, I was just losing track of my rules on friendships. Basically I shouldn't have them.. My side effects were getting a little more rough but it wasn't happening often.

I was hardly getting sleep and the migraines and inner pain was really hard to handle some days. I was able to hold my food a little better thanks to Laf's pills finally doing their job, but I had the occasional nose bleed from time to time.

It was Sunday night and the Halloween party was tomorrow. Carmilla decided to call me before bed to ensure that I wouldn't get cold feet. It would have been rude of me to ignore her call when we had plans to go to this party since last weekend.

"You've kind of disappeared on me, cupcake. Was starting to think you've been avoiding me." She says through the phone line.

"I'm sorry. I just hadn't been feeling well and the whole hospital thing-"

"Sick again? You've seriously got one of the worst immune systems I've ever heard of." she laughs. I frown and whisper under my breath, you have no idea..
"What was that, cupcake?"

Crap she heard.

"I said, tell me about it" I laugh nervously causing her to chuckle.

Nice save.

"Well that's a shame. How are you feeling now?"

"A little better I suppose" I say getting up from my couch and turning off my TV. Walking to my room I grab a glass of water and set it by my bed before laying down.

"Still feeling up for the party?" She asks. I could hear the hopeful tone in her voice causing me to smile.

"Well-"

"We don't have to go if you're not feeling up for it. We could stay at your place and hand out candy or something?" She interrupts me.

"I wouldn't want to keep you from the party-"

"Trust me, the Zeta's don't throw That good of a party. Besides, you're a bit more amusing then those popped collar puppy dogs."

"Just a bit, huh?" I laugh rolling onto my side so the phone is squashed between my pillow and my ear.