PROLOGUE

My name is Calypso, and I am not a good girl. I wasn't bred to be a good girl and I figured I shouldn't become one.

But everything changed when I decided to break the rules. When I decided I wasn't going to be the person they wanted to be. When I decided to be me for once instead of being my predecessors. I chose to become myself rather than be who they wanted to me. I wanted to break free and escape all the bonds that held me down, the expectations, the emotions they expected me to have.

I wanted to be me. Who I am.

For you to understand my story, I'll tell you about how I was made.

How do I know this you ask? Well it's rather pathetic, I read about it in the letter my estranged mother gave me. It was a simple letter really with a lot of big words and dialogues and emotions I could barely understand back when I was younger until someone explained it to me.

Here's how it went. It's not a happy story, so if you're expecting one... stop reading. It only gets worse from here.

It was twilight in Gotham City and the sounds of chaos seeped through the window of my mother. Homicide, rape, thievery, violence, lust and murder. A normal night in Gotham city, where the air smells like danger and the streets are a death sentence. It is the home to a number of criminals, and some of those criminals have powers you wish you never witnessed. If you are unfortunate enough to find yourself in Gotham at night, pray that the worst that can happen you is paranoia, because believe me, there are worse things.

You think New York never sleeps? This city never has the time to rest. This city doesn't have time to breathe. This city doesn't even have time to be safe. Danger lurks in every corner. Every sound you hear and every light you see could be your last.

My mother was sleeping soundly and had no care in the world, probably besides paying her taxes and getting through a day without getting murdered. Overall, she had good work and a satisfactory life. She was simply an accountant at some company, a big one I guess. I believe the name was... Lex Corp.

Ha.

You think she'd work for Wayne? Wayne barely has any openings for work since the demand to work for Gotham's number one playboy is high. Lex Corp has a few openings and she was one of the lucky people who got a job interview and got the job.

Nice one right? Well. It gets even better.

Gotham wasn't and isn't the best place for a person to exist, it was and is chaotic and crazy. It was and always will be dark and frightening. It was where your nightmares become reality. 

Sometimes, you will feel like the darkness will overwhelm you, sometimes you feel like you are going to lose your sanity in the hustle and bustle of this extremely dangerous city.

But for some reason this woman-my mother- found solace in this city. It was her home, with its flaws and all.

She must have been quite an accepting person to find home in a place like this.

My mother had fallen asleep while she was watching the news, she fell asleep on the criminal segment. How she did that I have no idea, never met the woman so I don't know how she thinks. She was just lying on the bed with the remote lying limply from her hand. ---So here's the part that I got from hacked police records and evidence that I dug into myself. While my mom was sleeping, homicidal maniac Harvey Dent was running away from Arkham once again. His worry wasn't even the police, it was the big bad bat. He need a place to hide for the night and he was nowhere near the usual abandoned warehouse.