Chapter 3

About school not being hell? I'm still sticking to it.

For one thing, from Monday to Tuesday, September 1-2, we just had orientation. It was as boring as ever.

It's just rules and regulations, blah blah blah. Topics for the entire year and all that stuff. Time, names of teachers and rules and regulations and... Wait. Sorry, I mentioned that already.

The only exciting thing that happened were the tryouts, nominations for class officers and the signing up for clubs and sports. The thing is, I didn't try for sports. I know what you're thinking now, You're so athletic, why don't you try?

First of all, if I did tryout, it wouldn't be trying. I would probably outshine the entire team. No, I'm not bragging. Uncle taught me how to be at the top of my game all the time. And that came with being the best at everything.

Track? Swimming? Volleyball? Basketball? Cheerleading? (Ew) Taekwondo? Karate? Aikido? Escrima? I know how to do those and more.

Anyway, for clubs, I decided to join the Gotham Academy Math Society.

No. I'm not a nerd.

It's just that I'm not that (note the that's) good at singing, or dancing, or playing an instrument, if acting, or drawing, or writing, or planting, or debating, or constructing things, or blowing up things or.... You get the point. And I did say that good.

The Math club was the easiest to get into. Is not only for those who are mathematically enlightened, it could be for those who want to excel.

And besides, Dick was joining too.

Not that it mattered, I just wanted someone with me when I join. It's hard being alone in a club.

On Tuesday we had the nominations for class officers.

The first nomination went like this:

"I NOMINATE DICK AND CALYPSO FOR PRESIDENT AND VICE PRESIDENT RESPECTIVELY."

And apparently the entire class agreed with that.

There were other nominations for class P and VP, but I think we'll probably win.

As for secretary and treasurer.... I don't remember anyone besides Barbara, who was nominated for secretary.

Oh, I almost forgot. For the past two days, every time we go out and eat lunch not something, lots of girls would come to our table. They'd bat their fake lashes and always tuck their hair behind their ear and try to look pretty. And I'm just there like, Damn you all, you're sophomores, juniors and seniors. Find someone in your own age group sluts! But of course, there are freshmen too. They'd flirt with Dick, and much to my annoyance, either glare at me or make fun of me or think I was invisible.

Dick would always try to defend me but, I always tell him "Don't protect me Dick," and say to the girls, "You're the people who need the protection. Seems like you all can't defend yourselves. Can you?"

And then they'd look baffled and annoyed at the same time. They'd walk away and mouth call me.

That's stupid. They didn't tell him their name (usually) or their number. (Most of the time).

But I had fun.

On Monday after school, Dad told me that my skills would be put to the test.

I wondered what that meant.

On Tuesday afternoon, 5:00, I've just gotten home from school when Dad called me to his office.

I walked into it. It has walls painted the shade of evergreen trees, the celling white and the floor black. There was a painting hanging on the half of the back wall, (since the other half was a window, (interesting design. I don't know why it's like that.) it depicted something like the the star that appeared over the nativity of Jesus, only harsher. In front of the right and left walls were black shelves, full of books and God knows what those gadgets are. In the middle stood his glass desk. On top of that were Newton balls, a lamp and his computer. In front if the desk was a chair made if glass.