Chapter 4

SEPTEMBER 3, 2010

UST 5:00AM

Luthor Mansion

CALYPSO'S POV

I was amazed I woke up at 5:00. I slept at around 12:00 or 1:30?

After doing my morning duties, I went downstairs to train. Once I reached the training room, the first thing I realized was that Slade wasn't there. Maybe he was snoozing, since he went on a mission the previous night.

What went through my mind while I was kicking the punching bag was, "Damn, this joining the Team thing isn't so bad."

I was so damn excited for the proving mission later today, or tomorrow, you never know with superheroes.

"But then.... I'm going to betray them. Don't get excited. You'll leave them soon enough."

I felt a sinking feeling in my chest. What's this, guilt?

"No. You don't know them and they don't know you. This is your mission. You must fulfill it."

I was too busy bringing pain to the inanimate punching bag, I heard Slade's voice behind me. "You're early for someone who slept at one thirty."

I turned around, he was there. "That's your definition of good morning?" It was still odd seeing him in normal clothing, black t-shirt, black jeans and black combat boots.

"No. This is, Morning little sword."

"Morning Uncle." I said.

He went to the back of the punching bag to hold it still. "Slow reflexes."

"I slept at 1:30. What do you expect?" I continued to kick the bag.

"I don't sleep sometimes, I'm still at the top of my game."

"Well, you don't have homework." I punched the bag.

"I have to hack and research." He replied, holding the bag tighter. "That's my homework."

"Uh..." I couldn't think of anything to say, so naturally, I jumped and kicked the bag, harder than intended. The bag flew out of the hook on the ceiling and Slade absorbed the impact. And by absorbed I mean he flew back a little bit then fell down on the floor, the bag on top of him.

"How was that?" I asked and removed a lock of my hair from my face.

"Top-notch, perfect." He said as he pushed the 200 pound punching bag off him. "Although, it could've been stronger."

I rolled my eyes and helped him up. Ironically, he's about a foot taller than me.

"Hey, about your mission." He straightened his black t-shirt.

Here it comes. "What about it?"

"Are you willing to do it?"

I was surprised at the question, he's a perfect solider... Most of the time. "What do you mean by that?"

"I mean, in your heart, are you willing to do it?"

"Why, of all people, you, are asking me?" Since when did he mind if I wanted to do it?

"Because Calypso, I have no master." He crossed his arms.

"But you follow Dad's orders!" I protested.

"Only if I am willing to do so." He replied. "If I am not, I'll make up an excuse, deviate from the mission and find another way, follow my own rules or... sabotage the mission." He had venom in his words and had an evil twinkle in his eye.