Chapter Three: Detour

I took a detour to the campus coffee shop. Tara stood behind the counter, already working on my latte as soon as she'd seen my car pull in.

"Hey Mimi, how's it-" Suddenly her voice cut off as she turned to look at me and her eyes widened.

"Whoa, what did you just do?" She asked and set my latte on the counter as I blushed.

"What're you talking about?" I questioned self-consciously and tugged at my long dark hair, wondering how badly I looked. I hoped I hadn't looked this bad in front of Duncan.

"I'm talking about your face!" Tara insisted and tossed her apron aside as she came to join me on the overstuffed couch that sat about two feet from the counter. I dropped my bag on the floor and pulled my knees to my chest, tugging my hoodie down enough so that my back wasn't exposed.

"Why? What's wrong with it?" I questioned, my fingers instinctively traveling over it for signs of damage.

"No! Nothing's wrong! You're just like...glowing and your eyes are super bright and wide and you're majorly blushing, and-" Suddenly her own green eyes lit up and she squealed with a wide grin.

"I know that look! You met a boy! Oh my god, what happened! I wanna know everything! Details, now!" She insisted sternly and I bit my lip, my cheeks flaring up even more.

"See you're blushing! That proves it; tell me everything!" She whined and jumped up and down excitedly; tendrils of her curly red hair were quickly escaping from her bun.

"Well...I might've met this guy earlier while I was on my way over. He was...so gorgeous, Tara." I stressed but I knew no matter how many details I gave I could never give his beauty justice.

"I like hearing that. What happened? How'd you meet him?" She beamed and bit her lip to reign in some of her enthusiasm.

"We ran into each other; literally. I helped him find his way to the English department. He was really sweet, and funny." I added and blinked dreamily, thinking fondly of Duncan and his night sky eyes, his perfectly chiseled face, his thick shaggy hair, the way his dimples had popped out when he smiled-

"Good! What happened when you got him there?"

"Well, he offered to take me out for coffee to say thanks tomorrow night."

Tara's face turned deliriously serious as she glared and narrowed her green gaze.

"Please God tell me you said yes."

I chuckled.

"I did, but I told him only as friends."

Tara's face fell momentarily as she groaned in what sounded like agony.

"Damn you sometimes Naomi! This guy sounds amazing, much better than Jeff!"

"Watch it Tara."

Tara hissed then smiled as I swatted my hand out towards her.

"We're going out drinking tonight, Levi and Jeff are coming. He wants you to bring London, of course."

"Of course." Tara smiled and stood.

"You're not working tonight?"

"No I don't work till Saturday."

"Okay; well I gotta get back to my own job but I want all the actual details tonight after we get some alcohol in your blood."

I rolled my eyes, knowing she would hold true to her word; even if that meant she would appoint herself as designated driver for the evening which was something Tara would never do willingly.