Chapter Thirteen: Pulled a few strings

Two days later I sat in my room, writing out a composition for my piano class when I heard a furious knock at the front door. I looked up confused, still chewing on the end of my pen cap before I heard London grumble.

"I got it, I got it."

I shrugged and went back to writing my paper, figuring it would probably be Tara coming to see me, since she was due back any minute now.

However, I jumped startled when I heard the door slam and Levi's voice growl.

"Alright, where is she?"

"Oh shit." I mumbled and buried my head in my hands.

His footsteps approached my room and I didn't even bother trying not to look guilty. His blonde hair was spikey atop his head and he glared at me with furious aqua eyes.

"What the hell happened the other night Nay? I mean one minute I'm looking up in the stands and see you cheering me on then the next you're completely gone! Then to make things worse, I don't hear from you for two whole freaking days! What're you trying to do? Give me a god damned heart attack!?" He sputtered finally, his voice thick with his feelings of anger and deceit. I shrunk away from his harsh words, and blinked. I knew he deserved an explanation, no not an explanation. He deserved the truth. However, that was simply out of the question. How could I ever tell him I'd skipped out on his game early to go and fight a bunch of demons that no mortal would really believe existed?

I sighed and pushed my head in my hands.

"You're right, okay? I'm sorry. I wasn't feeling well and I haven't been for the last couple of days. I'm still feeling kind of under the weather." I explained even though I knew my sudden wave of nausea had nothing to do with my immune system.

Levi narrowed his gaze and stared at me harshly for a long moment heaving a long sigh and collapsing in my computer chair, pushing his hair back with his hand.

"I'm sorry...I'm not mad about you ditching the game, I know football isn't exactly your thing. I'm more upset about the fact that you didn't speak to me for two days. Believe it or not Naomi, I was kind of worried."

I sighed and brushed my bangs out of my face feeling ashamed. Of course he would've been worried, because Levi was a good friend. I on the other hand, wasn't quite as thoughtful. Or truthful.

"I know...I'm sorry. I shouldn't have avoided you I just...didn't want you catching whatever I had." I insisted and averted my eyes to the floor.

He stared at me for another long moment before shrugging and smiling softly.

"Okay, okay....You're off the hook. On one condition."

I rolled my eyes but grinned.

"Okay."

"I want you to come out with me and some guys to a party next Friday night. It's a celebration for the football team for making it this far undefeated."

I grinned; maybe this was just the human activity I needed. Then I thought of something and my smile dropped.

"Wait...do you mean as like... a date?"

Levi coughed and pressed his palm to his neck, a soft blush spilled over his cheekbones.

"No, not really...I mean if you want it to be that's cool but if not...."

I bit my lip; I didn't want to lead Levi on. It wasn't that I hadn't thought of him in that way however it seemed like my emotions were too tangled up with Duncan at the moment to allow me to think clearly.