Chapter Seventeen: Pancakes

The next morning the only thing on my mind was Duncan. We'd went to the movies and when he'd showed up, I'd been beyond thrilled...until Tara and London saw us and insisted upon it being a double date. So, we didn't get any privacy. I had, however, invited him to stay the night with us since we'd gotten in a little after two in the morning.

He'd refused saying that wasn't the gentlemanly thing to do before leaving me for the night and promising to pick me up for breakfast this morning.

It was now going on seven AM, a bit early for me even and I stared at my ceiling. I'd been plagued with dreams again last night; they were the same as the first time. I ran through hospital corridors, looking for him, whoever 'him' was, and unable to find him. I was suddenly restrained and I somehow used my immortal powers to my advantage as I awoke. I shook my head and looked at the ceiling. I stared at my hand and put it to my forehead. Why was I so different? Why couldn't someone else be plagued by this gift/curse?

All I wanted was to be a normal teenage girl again, in college and living my life.

Now I was suddenly a defender of heavens forces and an ally to the angels.

Duncan was suddenly slipping in through my window. I could've pretended to be surprised but there seemed like little point to that.

He came closer and crawled into my bed with me. I scooted in closer to him and snuggled up to his warmth. His one hand shielded my face while the other curled protectively around me.

I noticed out of the corner of my eye the leather band Duncan wore at all times. The one he hadn't taken off since I'd met him. I already knew the 12/12 etched into it, but now I had a minute to examine the symbols on it as well. There were a set of angel wings, a little swirl, an eye, a ring and some other strange combination of squiggles that didn't look to have a meaning unless they were from hieroglyphics.

I wanted to ask him what it meant but I suddenly didn't feel like it.

At some point, you have to get out of this bed.

Only if you make me I challenged and buried my head under the covers.

"Don't tempt me." Duncan chuckled and slid under with me.

He stared at me for a moment, a hint of a grin playing in the corners of his lips before he took the blankets and threw them off the bed. Exposing every bare piece of my skin to the bitter cold of my room.

I curled into myself shivering.

"You're a jerk."

"Get up, get dressed, get down to my car within the next fifteen minutes. I'm in the mood for pancakes and I'm not going without you." He insisted and suddenly went to my window and jumped out. I rolled my eyes, contemplating pulling the covers back up and going to sleep once more but finally figured it more beneficial to stick to his plan.

Twenty minutes later, I came down the stairs of the dorm building and headed towards the passenger side of Duncan's car where he dutifully waited. He looked up and down at me before grinning in approval.

"Sorry, it's kind of thrown together for last minute." I shrugged glancing down at my baggy black sweater, jeans, and sneakers that sat in my closet for months at a time.

Duncan didn't seem to notice though.

"You look amazing." He muttered still grinning and opened my door for me. I sat down and smiled to myself as he shut my door.

A half an hour later we sat in the Denny's not more than two blocks from my dad's house. I sipped my orange juice while Duncan put in our order and the waitress went on her way.