Chapter Ten: Lunch

Later that day I went to work. I worked at a costume shop that was open year round just off campus. I loved working there and the people were always nuts. It made my days a little more fun, knowing there were people out there almost as crazy as I was.

I was in the middle of putting away the new shipment we'd gotten in of fairy costumes when I heard my boss yell for me from the back storage room.

"What's that Mel?"

"I said go on lunch, you've got an hour and Rob comes in at three." My boss, Melanie, hollered in her booming voice. I finished putting the costumes up before grabbing my bag from under the register and heading to a great soup and salad place just a few shops down.

Usually my days at work were pretty normal; work for about five hours, go eat lunch for an hour, work another four hours, then go home and swing by the cafeteria to grab dinner, then go to the dorm and pass out.

I could only hope regardless of the crazy stuff going on, this ritual would be one that wouldn't change.

I went in and ordered a bowl of cream of potato and took up my usual seat, a chair that let the sun sink into your skin regardless of the season.

I was prepared to pull out my notebook and start to write but I noticed a familiar blonde blob of hair sitting about three tables down with his buddies.

Levi looked completely unaware that I was there and I wasn't going to point myself out. Besides he was with his football friends and a couple of girls who looked like they would be seniors. It must've been their choice for lunch today because I knew the football team would never come to a soup place on their own accord without the proper persuasion.

I shoved my notebook back in my bag and was prepared to order my soup to go when a too familiar face popped out of nowhere.

"Hello angel, going somewhere?" Duncan grinned sarcastically and set a tray down in front of me. I actually felt myself shudder when he said 'Angel'.

"I was planning to; however I have a bad feeling you're prepared to stop me." I grumbled and noticed on his tray was my order. He pushed it towards me and offered a spoon. I took it and began to slurp down my soup.

"You truly should work with rocket science, Naomi."

"Why must you be such a smart-ass?"

"Would you rather me be a dumb-ass?"

"...Touché..."

He grinned at me and I couldn't help it; I grinned back. His eyes were boring into me again and I felt my skin crawl in anticipation, feeling his corneas burning into the depths of my being. The little smile that drew up in the left corner of his mouth was making my palms sweat and the way his hand was just barely brushing mine made my heart skip every time I thought our skin touched.

"Hey Naomi."

I suddenly jerked back and looked up to see Levi standing over me. His eyes were narrowed in Duncan's direction but his smile was directed towards me. Duncan looked up too but much more slowly and gave Levi a once over before deciding he was no threat and returning his gaze to me.

"Hey Levi; what's up? You guys just get done practice?"

"Yeah, the guys were starving and they had their girls so they insisted on coming here...who's your friend?" He questioned and gave Duncan a filthy look. Duncan looked up; his interest suddenly peaked by Levi's behavior.

"I'm Duncan Heavens. Naomi helped me find my class the other day and I was repaying her back by buying her lunch...would you like to join us?" Duncan gave a challenging smile and I swallowed hard; Levi took the bait and sat down between us.