Chapter Twelve: Nightclub

I awoke later in my room. It was a little after dusk by the dim light falling through my window. I felt achy all over but it wasn't as bad as last time thankfully. I heard a soft rustling of papers but I wasn't sure that I wanted to roll over and see what it was.

"You already know it's me." I heard a smile in Duncan's voice and I sighed but rolled over. He was lying in bed beside me, but once again he was flipping through my baby albums. He grinned at the first few pages where it was just me in my baby blanket and pacifier. I couldn't understand what on earth his fascination was with my childhood.

"I watched you grow up Naomi; remember, they're memories for me too." He explained softly and looked up with his night-sky eyes. The flecks of light were blazing and I bit my lip; shredding my gaze away from him.

"You're tired but it's not as bad as last time. That's good; it means you're getting stronger."

I sighed and shrugged.

"If you say so." I grumbled and curled tighter into my pillows.

"What time is it?"

Duncan was quiet for a moment.

"Nine thirty."

I suddenly bolted upright.

"What!? But why's it look so light out?"

I then realized it had been the glow of my bedside lamp that made the illusion of dimming sunlight. I suddenly felt guilty and smacked my forehead with my palm.

"Dammit, Levi's gonna kill me for missing his game!"

"Naomi, I'm pretty sure killing off a band of Vawerth's was a bit more important."

I swallowed hard and looked at Duncan very seriously.

"You mean I...I k-killed them?"

Duncan stared back at me, very seriously. I knew without the need of his confirmation that it was true.

I suddenly began to hyperventilate.

I'd never killed another creature in my life, aside from the occasional spider or cockroach; now all of a sudden I was taking out demons as if it were nothing. It made me actually fear whatever I was becoming.

Duncan suddenly crushed me against his chest and started chanting softly in my ear to soothe me.

"Calm down Naomi; you're getting too worked up. You did what you had too, and now you need to calm down. Calm down for me, Naomi. Please, calm down."

I tried to relax my breathing but I could only see the Vawerth's faces.

They may have been evil creatures but who was I to kill them? I wasn't god, I didn't decide who got to live or die.

I felt my cries coming from the core of my body and I leaned into the safety Duncan was offering me.

Slowly a calming buzz filled my body and my sobs began to softly die out. I wasn't sure what was going on but I knew I was glad for it.

"It's your divine taking affect. Your mortal side is becoming too worked up, so you're heavenly side is giving your emotions a break and stepping in."

I blinked and realized what he meant. I didn't feel different but then again I did. I no longer felt emotional over the ordeal even though I should've felt like I was at the lowest point in my life. Instead I felt...numb almost. A gentle buzz of energy flowed through my muscles and tendons and kept me calm and peaceful. I gingerly pulled back from Duncan and just barely caught the look of regret that swept across his face when I did. I hid my blush before trying to stand and change.