Chapter Sixteen: Mind Reader

"Duncan please let me train today." I asked him seriously, the next day as we walked across campus. While we'd both enjoyed our date up until the speed bump, we hadn't gotten to do anything more. After the incident with Jeff, Duncan had took me home and insisted on me getting some sleep.

"It'll do you good." He insisted, tucking me in then using one of his powers to knock me out.

When I'd woken up though this morning my feelings of self-pity were dissolved and my feelings of vengeance had reared its ugly head.

"I don't know Naomi, I think you just want a way to release your pent up rage." He rolled his shoulders in his heavy sweat jacket. It had snowed late last night and Christmas was next week, I continued to wonder if Duncan and I would be exchanging gifts or not. I know my mother had sent up a cake for me with Tara that included an invitation to come and spend some time with her for the holidays, however, now I could only imagine Duncan wouldn't let me go without him. I wasn't sure we were at quite that level yet.

"Maybe a little...come on, it'll be good for my practice." I finally cut him off to stand in front of him and narrowed my eyes. He stared at me for a minute before a warm grin touched his features and his fingertip danced over my cheek, tucking a strand of escaped black hair behind my ear.

"You look exactly how you did when you were five when you glare like that."

"Gah! Is that a yes or a no?" I threw my hands up in impatience. He laughed though and finally sighed humorously.

"Okay fine, meet me at the warehouse as soon as your classes are over."

"Okay, what're we going to be practicing?"

"Mental strengths." He grinned and brushed past me, heading to his own class while I smiled after him.

I watched his easy gait continue to walk away from me while making it an obvious thought for him to hear that I thought how hot he was. If he heard the thought or not, he didn't show. He simply continued to stride out of my line of vision.

"Naomi!" I heard a squeal and jumped, turning to find Hayden and Tara.

"Hey guys, you two are hanging out?" I questioned surprised. I knew they'd gotten off to a good foot but I didn't think they'd become that close.

"Yeah, I went and got breakfast with Hayden and Colby. I like him, he's sweet and quiet. A lot like you, Mimi." Tara giggled and Hayden grinned. Hayden's lighter red hair was tucked up into a beanie cap and she wore mittens over her normally pale fingers. Tara used her wild red curls as her hat to cover her ears but wore a loosely draped scarf around her neck and hanging down the front of her violet pea coat.

"Guess I'll take that as compliment."

"So, what're you doing for Christmas yet, have you figured it out?"

"Not yet, I was just thinking about it actually." I confessed.

"Go see your mom, she's really missing you Mimi. When I went to see her, she looked so...lonely."

I nodded. This seemed like a normal response for my mother but she would never let me know she was in such misery. She had some abandonment issues thanks to my father leaving but she repressed them. It didn't take a rocket scientist to see it.

"Maybe...how do you think she'd feel if I brought Duncan down with me?" I questioned.

Tara shrugged but a huge smile lit up her face.

"She'll probably be thrilled. I'd suggest bringing him actually....I'm probably bringing London."

I blinked surprised and suddenly I was the one beaming.