Chapter Nine: Angel rankings

I blinked and took a step back, sure I'd misheard. There was no way he had just confessed to me that he was an Angel. Especially not my guardian angel. It was unthinkable. Either my hearing was going or he truly was crazy.

"Huh?" I questioned stupidly and meshed my eyebrows together in confusion. He just grinned good-humoredly though and pulled me a bit closer to him.

"I told you before how angels and demons exist...I'm a purposeful Angel. I have the purpose of being a guardian...your guardian...I've dedicated my entire existence to preparing myself for you and your specific needs. I only exist, literally, to serve and protect you and those who hold meaning to you."

I was very still and silent. I didn't know how I should react. Something inside me was trying to process what was going on but another side of me, a side that insisted I knew what was happening, was unbelievably thrilled by such news. I had known something about Duncan was familiar from the first time our eyes met and for some reason that I couldn't admit I had quickly fell for him and felt like he was the only person I could see entrusting my life to if it ever came to such a decision.

It made sense in a way but there were also still so many questions I had.

I was glad to know why my emotions felt so connected to his but at the same time I wasn't sure I could handle such chaos right now.

"I don't...understand...why me?" I muttered and sat down on the bed, looking at my floor. I was trying my best to give my thoughts time to process everything.

Duncan sat down beside me and I could feel his beautiful gaze on the side of my face, staring, analyzing, watching.

"Because you're...different Naomi."

I turned and looked into his eyes. I suddenly realized rain was pelting against my window hard. So hard that a puddle was forming under the window. I quickly stood and went to my window, slamming it shut.

I turned to go back to the bed but suddenly I slipped and in the same instant where my butt should've landed in the water and smacked onto my hardwood, I was in Duncan's arms again. I had lost my breath for a moment and looked up at him. He had a smug one of a kind Duncan-smile on his face.

"We've got to stop meeting like this girl."

I wanted to grin and swat at him but I could only attempt a half smile thanks to my combination of surprise, marinating my feelings over my new information and trying to analyze what I would learn next.

He helped me upright and I stumbled towards the bed.

I mulled over the last thing he said.

Because you're different

"How am I different?" I whispered and drew my legs up to my chest, burying my chin between my knee-caps. I felt Duncan gently place his hand on the small of my back comfortingly. I didn't shy away from the touch. In fact, I actually felt a sort of burning warmth flow through my entire body from the one muscle he'd touched.

"You're the only one of your kind...you're known as 'The Virtuous'. You're three quarter divine; one quarter mortal...You have powers Naomi, that even I can't match...you're as strong as an arch angel because they created you."

I blinked and whipped my head around to look at him.

"I thought god created humans."

"But that's just the point doll, you're not human."

I bit my lip thoughtfully for a minute and tried to find more questions.

"Why do I exist?"

Duncan thought for a moment and looked at the ceiling; finally he closed his eyes and tilted his head towards the floor in concentration.