Chapter seventeen

QUICK NOTE: All words underlined are to be taken to be crossed out as part of her thought process! Love you x

-*-

"Cupcake, there seems to be a reoccurring theme of us leaving our houses to get unnecessarily priced food," Lee grumbles, as I tug him into the warmth of Costa.

"Stop complaining Lee, this was quite honestly the only way to interact with you. I swear you have some serious issue with food," I retort jokingly, heading to the counter with Lee in tow. The lady at the desk smiles sweetly at me before checking out my best friend; I roll my eyes.

I swear girls are just obsessed with the Myers brothers.

Myself included.

"I know, I know. Me and food just get along, ya know," he replies, pulling me into his side with the gentle tug of the hand. I wrap my arm around him in an awkward sideways hug before pulling away (the barista was giving me a dirty look). Lee turns to the girl with a smile, "Can I get a large latte, caramel hot chocolate and two slices of that raspberry ripple cake please?"

The barista nods before signalling to the two other workers and shouting our drink orders. She moves away from the desk promptly to reach into the glass cabinet beside us that's displaying an array of mouthwatering cakes. She grabs two slices and slabs them onto the plates beside her before turning back to us.

"That'll be fifteen," she states and Lee hands over a twenty pound note. "Your drinks will be ready soon. If you grab a table number we'll bring it over to you." We both nod in agreement and grab our plates.

"She was nice," Lee says, planting himself in a random chair by the window.

"She fancied you," I reply, tapping his leg with my food before taking a seat opposite him.

"Don't they all," Lee jokes, winking at me; I roll my eyes playfully in response.

I want to ask him where on earth he's been. Why he hasn't spoken to me for days even though we live next door. And who the hell this new girl is who's better than me, who's more worthy of his time.

But instead I simply ask:

"So where have you been recently?"

He doesn't answer me for a moment and I'm scared he's gonna reply with something like: I could ask the same about you, Elle.

But he doesn't.

"I've just been busy."

That's it. Busy. Busy doing what. Busy doing who. Busy laying in your room all day. Busy forgetting about me.

No. I'm being selfish. Lee can do other things apart from spend time with me. Besides, it's not like I've been calling him everyday demanding to see him. I haven't been the friend I could.

"Busy?" my tone conveys my anger and upset and I try to reign it in a bit. I shouldn't be so angry at him but I can't help it. It's so stupid. But I feel like I'm losing him and I don't know how to get him back.

"Elle don't do this," his voice is quiet, begging me not to make a scene. Not that I'm the sort of girl to make a scene. He should know that.

Before I can reply, the barista from the counter heads over, her hips swaying in an exaggerated manner. When she reaches our table, she sets down our drinks- placing Lee's down more carefully than mine. She pulls away the tray from the table and grabs a piece of paper from the pocket in her apron.

Handing it to Lee she says, "If you ever want to ditch your girlfriend, here's my number." She even has the audasity to wink at him and toss her hair over her shoulder. The girl smiles sweetly at me as if she hasn't said anything and begins to walk away.

Lee stops her by tapping her arm.

I want him to say something to her. To tell her not to be so disrespectful, even though we're not together. I at least want him to defend the girl he's dating. But Lee does something I don't expect. And I hate him for it.

"God she's not my girlfriend. And I will one hundred percent take you up on your offer. You tell me when, babe," he chuckles and pulls her closer to him. I watch the scene unfold, disbeilf coursing through my whole body, along with anger.

Who have you become Lee?

"Well I'm on my break now..." she trails off, biting her lip at Lee. The barista grabs his hand and pulls him up from the table. "C'mon."

Lee pulls her into his side and let's her guide him out of the coffee shop, leaving me with two hot drinks, two slices of cake, and hot anger poisoning my mind.

I've never felt more embarrassed. To be ditched by the person who's supposed to stay by my side. To be left by my best friend. The person who's supposed to have my back no matter what. don't understand what's happened to him. He has a girlfriend. Was that all fake? Was that all a lie? To get out of seeing me? Why would my best friend do this?

Why Lee?

I stay sat down, sipping my hot chocolate and taking small mouthfuls of the cake that doesn't taste so sweet anymore. Luckily the cafe isn't too busy- saves me the painful walk out of the door without the person I came in with.

My phone rings in my bag and I fish it out, hoping for it to be an apologetic Lee realising he's made a mistake. But it's my mum. I pick up after a moment of staring blankly at the screen.

"Hey mum," I try to summon some cheeriness into my voice but its hard.

"Hey sweetie, I'm going to be home late tonight, I've got some work stuff to be getting on with at the office. Dad'll be home at six, OK?" she says- she's breathing heavily down the phone but I brush it off.

"Yeah that's fine. Guess what just happened, Lee just left m-" she cuts me off.

"OK honey tell me later- stop it Grant, I'm on the phone."

Grant?

"Mum who's-"

I'm cut off again but this time by a mans voice. I stand up from the table and grab my bag.

"Babe, just come back to bed, I'm sure the call can wait."

My feet carry me to the door and I push it open, completely numb to the outside world.

All I can see is mine falling to pieces.

"Mum. What have you-"

She cuts me off once more. "I'm sorry honey, the office is really busy. Got to go, see you at nine. Love you! Bye!"

And just like Lee, she's gone.

And I can't help but think that my life is slowly being destroyed by the people I love most of all.

After the dust has settled, I wonder, who will I have left?

-*-

Hello my lovelies!

How are we all doing?

I know I said I was going to update every single day but recently this has been very difficult so I will not be posting tomorrow- this gives me a chance to write some more and also I'm on a seven hour shift at work tomorrow so I won't actually have time!

I hope this is OK, I just think I need a bit of a breather because this book is becomming very full-on.

If you enjoyed this chapter then please click the star! It really means so much (I say this every time)!

And leave me a comment telling me whos worse- Lee or Elle's mum?

I really hope you enjoyed this chapter! This A/N was kinda short so yay!!!

Thank you for all the votes and comments so far it means the world!

Also we hit 7K votes! That's actually mental!

Love,

Amber Rose x