Chapter twenty one

"Ellie can we just talk?" Lee's voice is loud and I can just make out the slam of a car door and footsteps coming towards me. The moment his door slams shut and I hear the beeping of the lock, I speed up my pace, hopeful that I'll make it to my house before he can catch me.

I step into my front garden as Lee's footsteps quicken and his voice gets louder. "What you said earlier was really unfair. I apologised, Elle you know I did. The calls, the texts..." His tone takes on a sharper edge when he says, "Can you just fucking answer me!"

Pulling out my keys from my bag, I turn on my heel to face him- Lee's face is bright red and his fists are clenched. "If you think that a pathetic little 'sorry' will make me forget how you treated me then you're dumber than you look, Lee." My anger from this morning has evaporated into nothing and I just feel bad for the boy who hasn't realised yet that he's lost me.

"What-" Lee continues to move towards me, spluttering and trying to form a coherent sentence as a response. I push the key into the door and push it open.

"Lee, just leave me alone. I'm done with this." 

I take a step closer to the inside of my house. 

"You shouldn't have followed  me all the way home."

Lee scoffs, "We live next to each other in case you forgot Elle."

I turn back to him. The face that used to bear a smile for me has morphed into a frown. 

"That's not what I meant. We both know you're shitty little car goes faster than ten miles an hour. It's not you're job to look after me Lee. You don't get to tear me down just to think you can come along and make me feel better again that's not how it works."

A look of shocks flies onto his face, almost identical to the one this morning when I slapped him. He stills bears the red mark on his cheek from that. "Tear you down?"

Running a hand down the side of my face, I mutter softly, "Goodbye Lee." I step into my house and begin to close the door.

"No Elle-" his words are cut off by the slam and I press my back to the cool wood and slide onto the floor. My knees tuck to my chest and I lean my head on them. The house is so quiet, and this gives me the minutes of silence I need to process everything that's happening in my life.

Maybe I'm being selfish and mean and horrible to Lee. Maybe he isn't in the wrong and I'm just upset that he's finding time with new people and we're not as close as I thought we were. Maybe I've hurt him too and I've been so wrapped up in Nate this whole time that I haven't thought about him at all.

But I can't help but think I'm wrong.

I can't help but think that he's hurt me so much and I haven't done anything like that. I haven't ever thought about doing what he did to me.

Closing my eyes I take a deep breath before pushing myself up from the floor and out of my moment of solitude. 

Lee's angry words still echo in my head.

I climb the stairs and head to my room, needing a distraction, needing to let out every emotion that I'm keeping bottled up. I want to talk to someone. But Tia's gone on holiday to Florida for three weeks.

And what would I say to Nate? I don't know how to fix you? I can promise I'll stay forever?

And I've lost Lee, for good.

Who do I have now?

My laptop's been left on in my room so I log on and pull up my emails. I must be desperate if I'm going to even think about sending a message to her. 

FROM: JellyEllie33@yahoo.co.uk

TO: GabiLincon@hotmail.com

SUBJECT: I need some advice

Hey Gab,

It feels like we haven't spoken for ages. I mean, I haven't sent an email for a good three months and I think that's unfair to you. I miss you. Even though we had our ups and downs there were some times when you gave me some amazing advice.

Like: Don't trust Lee Myers. And guess what? You were right again. I guess you always knew me so well, even if I didn't really know myself. 

This isn't a rant about Lee or pathetic boys because I'm sure you have your fair share of drama in NYC (do tell me what the American hotties are like ;))!

But I wanted to ask you about you're mum. Because I found out a couple of months ago thast mines cheating on my dad and I know you're mum running away and my mum cheating aren't the same but i wanted to know if it ever gets easier, this slow boiling hatred.

Because I don't know if it will.

I hope you're having fun in New York!  And I understand if you don't want to reply- I know it was never easy to talk about your mum.

Love,

Elle xxx

MESSAGE SENT

-*-

Hey my lovelies, 

I'm so sorry I was so so busy yesterday and I'm going through some stuff right now. ALso I know Sat was supposed to be the day off but I guess I had yesterday off so I'm gonna say I can update today! YAY!

How are you doing beautiful?

Did you enjoy this chapter? And if so please hit the star on screen it means so muchhhh to me! And tells me that you're liking the book so far!

Leave me a comment to! Tell me one random fact about yourself righttt HERE!1!1!

Also while you're there tell me what you think of Lee so far? (there might be a lil extra chapter coming soon! ;))

Also opinions on the emails and drafts Elle's been writing to Gabi (and also not to Gabi)

Thank you so much for all the support it means the world!

This chapter is dedicated to the amazing @pinkbubbles77for adding this book to her reading list! Thank you girl! 

Love you all,

Amber xx