Chapter twenty seven

FROM: jellyellie33@yahoo.co.uk
TO: GabiLincon@hotmail.com
SUBJECT:

Hey...
I'm not really sure what to write now. We were good. No. Better than good. We were friends again, getting along. You were being nice to me for the first time ever (except for when we were like 10) but then you just out of nowhere had a go.

And I still don't really know what I did wrong. Or how you know about me and Nate. Or what Lee has to do with any of it but please please just tell me why you're so upset and why you're so obsessed with Nate.

Well-
I already know the answer to that. I guess it's the same reason I'm utterly in love with him right? Because he's just- him.

Yeah Gabi, I love him. I really really do.

Just talk to me again. Please?

Love,
Ellie x

DRAFT SAVED

"Ellie I've told you already! We're having the party and that is that!" my dad grabs the crate of beers from the pantry and sets them down on our island counter. To be honest, I can't even do anything to stop the man from having this full blown event (he hired a company to set up a dozen balloon arches and another smaller company to arrange decor and some weird gazebo for our garden- in the middle of winter!!) because it's already set up and I'm not the one to let him down when he's on this kind of high.

"Look I'm not gonna stop you but do you think that having a party just after the divorce papers were sent is a good idea?" Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned the divorce but it's hard not to- it's the biggest elephant in the room along with my dislike towards Lee at this current moment in time.

And for some reason, both those elephants can't stay quiet not in the room.

It's not much to ask in my personal opinion.

"Divorce papers smorse papers!" he booms, brushing over the topic so flawlessly. I have to give him credit where it's due: he's dealing with the mum ordeal rather well.

I, however...

He quieten down and softens his voice, "Honey, I know you and Lee aren't on great terms right now but that's the reason I invited the Myers and obviously because there's clearly going on with Nate," he catches my shocked expression and adds, "I'm not worried unless he's treating you badly. If you're happy then I'm happy Jelly Ellie."

A smile spreads across my face at the mention of Nate. "I'm happy," I say because being hit by the reality of both Myers boys being in my house on New Years Eve. The combination of those two is not something I wish to encounter in a tiny gazebo in our back garden. "You can't mention anything about Nate to Lee," I try my best to make my voice sound impartial and unbothered but it's difficult and I'm pretty sure my dad catches the hint of anxiety of Lee finding out about my- whatever it is- with his brother.

"Oh honey," he says, grabbing another crate of ciders from the pantry before beginning to unload them onto our other countertop space. "Of course I'm not going to tell him. I think you two have more pressing issues in your friendship than his brother."

I'm not too sure about that dad...

"Yeah I know. I just don't wanna talk to him. He was just- he was selfish," it's the only way I can think of describing my best friends behaviour over the past couple months. I should've reached out to him sooner. I should've done something to fix our friendship.

I just never thought it was fragile enough to break the way it has.

"Sweetie, everyone is selfish. The whole world is selfish and shitty and those you trust so deeply may one day hurt you. But that one moment of hurt should not be allowed to eradicate all good that person gave you," my father says, his eyes meeting mine in an unwavering gaze.

I sigh, moving around from him to grab some food from the fridge- the whole fridge is stacked full with party food and I dread to think what our pantry looks like right now.

"Yeah, you're right. I'll talk to him tonight," my dad raises a questioning eyebrow in my direction and I sigh again. "Yes I will."

My dad throws his hands up, feigning defence. "Hey, I didn't say anything Ellie."

I roll my eyes playfully causing him to nudge my shoulder. "Right," he says, running back into the pantry to grab some more food and alcohol. He places them on a spare counter (these are few and far between now). "You go get ready Ellie and no arguing about this party anymore. I wanna celebrate the end of this year and I know you do too."

There's no point fighting him when he's this excited; besides, I'm desperate for a party, especially one with the Myers. They always bring the best food selection you have ever seen in your life and Linsey always always has the classic party songs in her back pocket ready to spring on you when you think the night is getting dull.

God I miss all the parties we used to have a couple years back. Nearly every week. The boys dad was the life of the party- correction, life of the street- and would invite the whole neighbourhood over for the loudest gatherings you would ever attend.

Luckily noise complaints on our streets are kept to a minimum (we just bribed them with chocolate cake and free wine).

"Hey Dad," I call as I'm halfway up the stairs. He turns from his position in the kitchen with a a smile. "You're awesome." I say, and I mean it. He doesn't know how amazing he is.

"Thanks jelly Ellie. You're awesome too,you weirdo." His booming laugh fills the whole house and I am filled with so much joy and love for this man. He is my world. And I am so grateful to have him in my life.

Before I get ready for the evening (there's a bit of work to do so I don't doubt it'll take around 2 hours) I send a text to Lee. I didn't want to talk to him at all and was just planning to leave things on bad terms (sometimes my stubbornness likes to ruin my life) but my dad's made me realise how much I miss his company and his friendship.

I shouldn't neglect our ten years of friendship because of some silly mistake.

One moment of hurt should not be allowed to eradicate all the good a person has given you.

You're too wise for your own good, dad.

-*-
It has been so long and I am so sorry!!!!

I have had so much going on and I kind of forgot to upload for ages! SORRY!!!

I am going to attempt to be more consistent but it is so difficult as I'm in my last year of college and trying to find employment etc etc.

Slowly falling back in love with this book and I hope you're all enjoying this too so far!

What do you think is going to happen at the party?

Will Ellie and Lee finally make up?

Who knows 😂

I love you all! If you liked this chapter please vote comment and share it helps my readership and overall stats so so much!

Thank you for all the support!!!!!

Love,
Amber xx