[7] Rehearsal

Underage

[7] Rehearsal

If I were to go to hell, this is what it would be like.

It would be a place where jealousy burns through my veins and knots are triple-tied in my stomach. The constant feeling of nausea would eat away at me and a headache would form in my temples, the image permanently etched into my brain and behind my eyelids. Every time I blinked I would see their lips touching, their hands roaming. I would hear her sounds, her moans, in my every waking moment. This would be my eternal suffering.

I've never been the jealous type. I've never been the girl who couldn't stand her guy even talking to other girls or the girl who freaks out at every look they send another girl's way. My ex-boyfriends actually liked that about me, maybe a little too much. Maybe I don't get jealous enough to keep somebody around. I've just never seen the point of not letting your man talk to other women; they can talk but anywhere past that and then I get jealous.

Ethan's not even my boyfriend, and here I am feeling sick to my stomach.

We're taking a break. Our vice principal Mrs. Jenkins, who's been running the rehearsal this morning, has made us go through the ceremony twelve times before calling for a break. The air conditioning broke down at the beginning of the day and our principal Mr. Shatler had run off to fix that as soon as possible. The guests at graduation this weekend wouldn't be pleased with the hot air circling the room. I turn to look at Ethan, who had the seat behind me, to find that he isn't there anymore.

I rise from my seat along with just about everyone else, and head for the bathroom. It's full and a line is forming. I don't have to go that bad. Instead, I go to look for Ethan.

It isn't hard to find him.

I hear the sounds coming from her and I think I'm going to embarrass somebody. So, when I open the door to a random room, I'm not expecting what I see. Instead of embarrassing an unsuspecting couple, I find Ethan and Lauren.

Lauren Nichols has never been one to keep her legs closed for very long. She's a thin girl with the body of a ballerina, and almost white hair with dark roots. Her neck is long, her cheek bones sharp, and her brown eyes swirl with manipulation. I can see her hands gripping his leather jacket as she tries to push it off his shoulders. I can hear her. If I wasn't seeing it, I would have thought they were doing more than kissing from the sounds leaving her mouth. Yet, he kisses her back. His hands wind around her waist and his face presses up tightly against hers. He's enjoying himself.

They don't notice me at first. At least, I hope they don't. I stand there for a shocked second, my hand gripping the handle on the door until my knuckles are white, and then I clear my throat.

Ethan pulls away from Lauren and I can see a string of saliva hanging in-between their lips. He backs away from the wall and his eyes meet mine. He gives me a smile, one that says he knows how jealous I am just by a single look into my eyes.

"Break is over," I say.

I pivot on my heel and stomp back towards the stage. I sit in my spot and I'm overly aware of his presence behind me. Our rows are close together. So close I can feel his hot breath on the back of my neck as he leans forward. One of his hands goes to my ponytail and pulls my body so I'm leaning back in my seat. His lips are next to my ear.

"Jealousy looks good on you, baby. It makes you even more sexy than you already are."

I try to pull my hair out of his grip. Instead of letting go, Ethan grabs my hair with his second hand and I can feel his attempt at a braid. "If it helps, you're a better kisser."