[21] New Jobs and New Boys

Underage

[21] New Jobs and New Boys

My bed is cold. I toss and turn, missing the way he would climb in behind me and wrap me in his scent. I catch myself reaching towards the empty end of my bed but coming up with nothing. Instead, I call for Magnus and bury my face in his fur. It's pathetic, not being able to sleep by myself.

I've cried all I can cry. My head pounds as I turn over in bed, and Magnus licks my face. I run my fingers through his hair and kiss his head.

"At least I still have you."

I roll out of bed, my back and stomach aching, and make my way to the kitchen. My eyes find the keys on the table I haven't touched as I walk through the living room. I fill Magnus' bowl with food and I smile as the pup attacks it. If anything good comes out of the summer, it'll be Magnus.

My phone rings from my bedroom and I don't rush to answer it. Instead, I rifle through my fridge and cabinets, not finding anything. I have to go to the grocery store. I have to find a job. I only have what I've saved up, and my last paycheck coming in a few days. I'm going to starve. My phone starts to ring again and I groan. I make it to my room just as the phone stops ringing. As I pick it up, she calls for a third time.

"Hello—"

"I have called you a million times. Why weren't you picking up the phone? Cooper ditched me today for your stupid ass boyfriend. I'm on my way over. Coop said something bad happened, and I expect the entire story when I get there. Unlock your door, I'm coming up the stairs."

I can almost hear her footsteps stomping on the stairs as she takes them two at a time. I manage to unlock the door just as she's pushing it open and stepping through. She wraps me in her arms, her taller frame towering over me. She pushes my head into her chest as her hand is placed on the back of my head to keep me there.

"Now." She pushes me back so I can look at her and directs me towards the couch. Her snack purse is filled with yellow dollar store bags that I know are carrying candy. She dumps her purse out onto the table and attacks the gummy bears, before making herself comfortable on the couch beside me. I tuck my feet beneath me and she turns towards me. "Tell me everything."

"He called me beautiful." Her eyes scan my face, her eyebrows scrunching together, and her lips thinning. She doesn't say anything. She lets us sit in silence, as if that'll make me elaborate and tell her the real reason her boyfriend ditched her for mine. Is he still my boyfriend? He left his key. If he wanted to still be with me, he would have taken it with him. I told him not to call, but I figured he would show up when he was ready to talk. Now, he can't even do that.

"He always calls you beautiful," she says, reaching for a pack of snickers and handing them to me. I take them gratefully, before reaching for some of the chocolate peanuts as well. It doesn't help that this is what I've been craving for the last twenty-four hours but I was too lazy to leave my house. Instead, I took a total of six showers to help with the pain, all of which only helped while I was under the stream. As soon as I stepped out, it was back.

"I didn't believe him." Grace's face softens, her hand reaching out to squeeze my upper arm. It's a simple gesture, but one I appreciate. She gives me a smile and scoots over so she's right up next to me. Her side is pressed against mine and there's nowhere for me to go. "I don't believe him."

"But you are, Thea."

It's easy for people to say I'm beautiful. They're just words. They can say them over and over and drill them into my head, but that doesn't mean I'm going to believe them. That's completely different. Yes, Ethan sometimes makes me feel beautiful. When he's gazing at me with those green eyes and I know what he's thinking. But, lately, I can't help but see myself differently. I'm not that small girl anymore, and I don't think I ever will be. It's not fair for him to compare me to someone I'm never going to be again.