[33] Like Cats and Dogs

Underage

[33] Like Cats and Dogs

"I called her," Trevor says as I set Magnus down onto the backseat.

He's carrying Evan's picture under his arm. The paint only fully dried a few hours ago. Ethan's eyes are staying behind, as the beginning of my own collection. I couldn't show this piece to the world. Evan would want me to, but I can't bring myself to even want to show Ethan. The birthday boy offered to drive me home last night, but I declined. Instead, I spent most of the night on the pool deck with a sketchbook in my hand—courtesy of my newest teacher.

"When you didn't want to go home, I figured something was wrong. I had Grace's number from when we were partners last semester. I called her and told her that you were alright. She seemed worried."

There's no doubt they found my apartment how I left it yesterday. They probably thought the worst. As I had when I found Magnus missing.

"Thank you," I say.

"About what I told you yesterday—"

"Don't worry about it Trev, your secret is safe with me."

Trevor gives me a small smile and his cheeks flush slightly. "Thank you,"

"But I do have someone I think you might like."

Trevor rolls his eyes as he turns down my street. His car slows to a roll when we're outside my apartment. Ethan's car is in the driveway and I groan. I don't want to see him right now. I don't want him to see my painting either. I want one morning to myself. Especially since I know the minute I see him all that anger will come rushing back. I'm tired of feeling angry.

"Boy or girl?" he asks, the tips of his ears turning red.

"Boy," I say. "I'm not sure if he bats for your team, but I'm pretty sure."

Trevor says nothing but shakes his head and puts the car into park and pops the trunk. I look towards my balcony, noticing the french doors are open and my curtains are swaying with the wind. I can't see Ethan through them but I know he's there. I can feel it.

I wrap Trevor in a hug. Mostly because I know Ethan's watching. If he wants to play this game, I can play this game. I've had a lot of practice.

"Thank you for everything," I whisper, kissing his cheek.

"He's watching us," Trevor whispers back, his lips barely moving as he speaks. "I don't want to be on the returning end of his fist."

"You won't, I promise."

I pick Magnus up with an arm and my painting with the other. I'm not sure what to expect when I step through those doors. I know Ethan must have cleaned up, but he couldn't have fixed everything in one night. I wave one last goodbye to Trevor who doesn't wait for me to get inside before pulling away. Safe bet, not being here when I finally make it up to Ethan.

The stairs seem to stretch before me as I take them one step at a time. Magnus is fidgeting under my arm, wanting down. When I finally make it to my door, I notice the new silver locks. There's three of them when I used to only have one. I know it's a long shot but I try to fit my key in the slot. It doesn't fit. Reluctantly, I tap the back of my fingers onto the door.

Not a moment later, the door is opening.

Ethan stands on one side, while I stand on the other. Neither of us making the first move. His eyes wander my frame, stopping momentarily on the painting under my arm. He can't tell what I've painted but his eyes keep going back to it.