[50] Thunderstorms and Brown Liquor

I wrap the leather jacket around my body as I prop myself against the headboard. The thunder rattles the door on its hinges and the lightning lights momentarily lights up the world. A large explosion sounds too close for comfort. A second later I'm doused in darkness. Magnus doesn't notice as he continues to sleep on me. He breathes heavily—the hot air brushing against my legs. I let my fingers run through his fur and try to relax, but I can't seem to close my eyes. Every time I do, I see someone—who's not Ethan—climbing through the window or kicking down my bedroom door.

And then the real problem makes me cry—I wouldn't have anybody to save me. There's a steady stream of tears running down my cheeks. They're the kind that take no effort, not even a blink to help them fall. Instead they drop down on their own despite open or closed eyes.

I wait a few seconds, hoping for the lights to come back on. I pat the top of the bed, looking for my phone, but come to the conclusion that Magnus is sleeping on it. When I find myself sitting in complete darkness moments later, I drop my hand to the side of my bed and feel around until I'm clutching my bat. I think of the moment only months ago, holding the same bat and destroying a half a dozen hangers. It makes me smile, at least for a second.

Another rumble of thunder echoes through the wind and only two seconds later, a sharp slap of lightning strikes the ground. The rain smacks against the open window. There's a puddle of water collecting at the bottom of the windowsill where it's raised a few inches. Just in case.

To anyone else the rain would sing them a lullaby to sleep to, but for me it was just a reminder that I'm all alone as it echoes throughout the silent apartment. It's a reminder of this summer, of the love I've lost, and the fact that I won't see him again for a long time—too long. It makes me want to forget about college, chase after him, and get what I want. To spend the rest of my life with him.

Loud pounding sounds from the living room. I glance down to Magnus who perks up when he hears the continued knocking. My dog looks at me and then cocks his head to the side, his ears flopping onto his head. I tighten my grip on the bat and stand from the bed, my feet meeting the cold ground. Magnus stays in his spot, no doubt wanting to go back to sleep, but when I lightly tap my thigh he jumps down from the bed. I grab my phone from where he was laying on it and walk quietly on the wooden floor.

I open the bedroom door ridiculously slow, as if the creaking old piece of wood could be heard from outside the front door. There's a break from the knocking and I pause in the middle of the hallway. Did they go away? Can I go back to my room where I'm safe?

As I turn to go back to bed, the doorbell starts ringing. It isn't just a single ring. It's a consistent tapping of the doorbell from an impatient visitor. My steps are quicker now, wanting the ringing to stop.

Magnus takes off through the small apartment and barks at the door when he beats me to it. He stands in-between my legs with his head popping out, growls vibrating through his chest.

My heart is beating as I fumble for my phone and open it to my contacts. My finger hovers over Ethan's name, but he's too far to do anything. All it would do is worry him. For a split second, I let myself entertain the thought that maybe it's Ethan on the other side of the door. I shake that thought away.

I slowly raise to my toes and look through the peephole. I cry when I see who it is.

I pull the door open and throw my arms around his neck, crying into his shoulder. His arms come around my waist and pulls me against his body. He's wet, but I don't care. He holds me as I cry, his hand coming down on the back of my head and stroking downward. I've never realized how much taller he was than me until his head comes down onto the top of my head and he rests his cheek on my hair.