[15] Puppy Love

Underage

[15] Puppy Love

Ethan's not doing too well at this whole boyfriend thing we're trying out. He's complained the entire time about no kissing, but makes no move to say the few words to rectify it. In return, he spends the night at my house with nothing, which he still complains about. On top of insisting he's a better kisser, he's informed our parents that we have news and requested an immediate family dinner. My parents don't question, and immediately start cleaning the house.

I'm sure our mother's think I'm pregnant, or something.

I'm not ready. I don't think I ever will be. We have no way of knowing how they're going to react. For years, our mothers have wanted this to happen. It's not just us who are going to have our hearts broken at the end of the summer. Our mothers will too. I wanted to wait at least a week to tell them but Ethan couldn't even hold out an entire twenty-four hours. Now I have to get ready for a family meal I don't want to have, and give news I don't want to give.

Ethan is standing at the edge of the bed. I can smell the cinnamon rolls he put in the oven. He's trying to fatten me up; trying to earn forgiveness through my love for cinnamon rolls. My stomach growls and he smirks. If I get up, if I eat this food he made me, that's it. He'll take that as me accepting his apology.

I roll over onto my side and pull the covers up to my chin. My boyfriend groans and I feel him plop down onto the bed. His head is by mine and I can smell his cologne. I look down at him. He shaved his face.

"Look, I'm sorry for setting this up without talking to you about it, but I'm not sorry for wanting to tell them. They're our family and they deserve to be the first ones to know." he says. "Besides Coop and Grace—they already know."

I roll my eyes. Of course he already told Cooper, who then in turn told Grace. It would explain why I have a hundred missed texts from her that I've chosen to ignore. Ethan rolls over so he's in my face and slips beneath the covers. He wraps one arm around my waist and puts another beneath my head, then pulls me into his chest. My head rests above his heart and his chin comes down onto my head.

"Why don't you want to tell them?"

"You know why." My voice comes out muffled from the shirt he has on but he can understand what I'm saying. "I don't want to break my mom's heart."

"You think I want to break my mom's?" he asks. He's always been a momma's boy. When he was little, he would always be by her side. She couldn't go anywhere without him. If she was going to the store, he was going with her. His dad was always jealous, but then Everett came and he wanted nothing to do with his mom. Everett always preferred his dad. "They'll understand if this doesn't work out, but at least give it a chance. They'll be upset, but they'll get over it."

I nod my head and he kisses my hair. "I said no kisses, Ethan."

"You're really going to keep this up?"

"Of course I am." I take my head out of his chest. His eyes flicker down to my lips and I bring my face closer to his. My thumb rubs over his smooth jawline. I've always preferred Ethan with facial hair. It makes him look older, sexier, but it bothers him when it gets too long. "Say I'm the better kisser."

"Never." His lips are almost to mine. I can feel his breath on my face—it smells of my mint toothpaste. I want to feel his lips, his body, on mine. I want to stay in bed and forget about the conversation I'm going to have to have later. I want him to make me forget. Ethan's forehead rests on mine, his eyes clouded in lust. He pushes the covers off my body, the cool air nipping at my skin. I'm in little clothing, courtesy of Ethan who cranked the heat up in the middle of the night. I got so hot I stripped in the middle of the night and forgot I was only in my bra and underwear. "You're so beautiful."