[22] Annie's Coffee Shoppe

Underage

[22] Annie's Coffee Shoppe

I bounce the pack back and forth, my eyes never leaving the green, shiny packaging. I can almost taste it on my tongue, breathe it in my nose, and I sigh. I want so badly to indulge, to take a moment and stand on the balcony and let myself do something I haven't thought about in a while. It took everything in me to quit when I did, and now I'm willing to throw it all away over the boy who made me quit in the first place.

I slip a cigarette out of the package. A lighter is in my other hand and my thumb rolls over the metal to create a flame. It's so close; a little closer and I'll be able to smell it. I won't put it in my mouth, I'll hold it and smell it. That's not bad, right? At least not as bad as smoking it.

My thoughts roll to Ethan, who still hasn't called, who hasn't snuck through my window in the middle of the night, who hasn't even reached out through our friends. There's been nothing, and I desperately want there to be something. I need something. I need him to tell me what I'm doing is stupid, that he'll hate me if I start up again, but he's not here and I set the cigarette between my lips. Now fire, I need to light it. I bring the lighter to the cigarette, my thumb resting on top of it. But I can't do it.

I pull the cigarette out of my mouth and slip it back into the package. I stick the carton into my back pocket just as I see Grace's car rounding the corner and stopping in front of my apartment. She waves to me through her open window and calls for me to come down. I'm in regular clothes, as per Miss Annie's request, a simple pair of jeans and a black shirt. Grace decided she wanted to drive me to my first day of work.

No one lets me drive anywhere anymore, except on the way to Julia's grandmother's house. And, even then, Ethan couldn't take it and decided to drive us home. Even when I can drive myself, and no one else, they insist they pick me up and take me themselves. I'm not that bad of a driver.

"Can't be late for Kyle." Her voice is teasing but I don't smile. I don't want Kyle to like me. "Ethan's going to come around, I know he will."

I can feel the pack of cigarettes pushing against my butt as I sit in the front seat of Grace's car, but I know if I take them out she'll take them from me. Even if I told her I'm not smoking. She wouldn't care.

"Go, be great," she says. "Make the best damn cup of coffee anyone has ever tasted." I smile and shake my head, before throwing an arm around my best friend and making my way into work. It's not as cold as the ice cream shop and I'm going to assume there won't be anywhere near the same amount of kids coming in. Miss Annie greets me at the door with a hug and a pinch on my cheek.

"Now, here's your apron and your name tag. You don't have to wear the visor, most don't. I know Kyle won't go anywhere near them, but I think they're cute. If you need anything, ask me, dear. I'll be upstairs in my office."

Annie's Coffee Shoppe isn't much. It's bigger than the ice cream place, with actual tables placed around the floor and booths pressed up against the wall. There's white tiled floor and burgundy walls. A large counter has backless stools in front of it and plenty of machines to make the coffee. I tie the apron around my waist and step behind the counter. Kyle is bent down, rifling through the cabinets, when I step up beside him.

"Are there usually so many people here?" I ask him, looking out to the sea of nobody. There isn't a single person in the place. Albeit it's only eight in the morning, way too early if you ask me, but I thought there would have been somebody. An old person, at least.

"I'm afraid so, it's rush hour." Kyle stands from the off the floor with white pieces of paper in his hands. I smile and look up at him. I have to look up to look him in the eyes, not nearly as much as when I look at Ethan. "Should I give you the grand tour?"