Chapter 4 - Asexual and Homely

It wasn't the ringing of the phone that woke Ringo up, but the sound of Charlie in the bathroom. He rolled over onto his stomach and reached out to grab it. "Morning." He mumbled sleepily.

"Good morning. I know it's early, but I thought you might want a courtesy call." Mal replied.

Ringo closed his eyes. "How early is it?"

He answered. "Early enough that everyone is still in their rooms but they'll be up soon. Should I come round and fetch her?"

The bathroom door opened. Ringo opened his eyes. Charlie stepped out. He thought she looked pretty good for a bird wearing yesterday's wrinkled clothes. He smiled at her. Ringo spoke into the receiver. "Have we got time for breakfast, Mal?"

"You haven't even got time for a cuppa if you don't want the others to see her."

He sighed disappointedly. "Alright. Give us ten minutes." He abruptly ended the call. It didn't bother him if they did but he didn't want to be the cause for a row.

"It's all yours." She motioned toward the bathroom doorway. "I really should go. I'm sure you've got a busy day ahead of you."

Ringo sat up and rested back on his hands. He didn't want her to leave, but the group had an early start and a full day.

She walked over to him and ran her fingers through his hair and pushed his fringe back from his forehead. "Much better."

"I'm going with you. I'll walk you out." He proposed because he wanted to spend more time with her.

Charlie smiled. "It's a hotel, not a maze. I can find my way out."

He reached out and grabbed hold of her hand. "I know but all the same, love. I'd like your company."

Charlie slipped her hand out of Ringo's grasp. "I'll wait for you in the living room." She stepped out of the bedroom.

****

Mal rapped his knuckles against the door of Ringo's hotel room suite. The door opened, but it wasn't Ringo standing on the other side of it. "Good morning." He politely greeted Charlie.

"Good morning." She stepped back, and Mal walked inside and shut the door.

"I'll be right out," Ringo shouted.

He'd been at this job as the Beatles roadie for years, but these moments between himself and the young ladies the lads bedded could be a bit uncomfortable for him. Mal didn't want to break these birds hearts with the truth, but he didn't want to give them false hope either.

Mal didn't have to worry about Charlie. She seemed like the sort of young woman who knew the score. He didn't think she'd ask him when she'd see Ringo again or if he'd call her. He slipped his hands into the pockets of his slacks and looked toward the hallway. Mal knew it wouldn't make the young man appear any faster, but he continued to stare in that direction.

****

Ringo had quickly cleaned up to make himself presentable and dressed in his clothing from his previous evening out with Charlie. He stared at his reflection in the bathroom mirror. His hair was a mess, and he thought he looked tired. But, he felt fab and he broadly grinned at himself. He grabbed his comb from the countertop and ran it through his hair. When he was finished, he stepped out of the bathroom, back into his bedroom and out into the hallway.

He slapped his hands together and walked into the front room. "Alright." He announced his presence.

Mal smiled briefly at him. "Are you ready?"