Chapter Seven, Part Two - Sides

A car turned onto the street, Charlie was momentarily excited, until she realized it wasn't Ringo's. She mused to herself that she should've taken her time to get ready. But, Charlie rushed because she wanted to be ready when Ringo arrived. She didn't want him to think she'd changed her mind on him. Now, she felt a bit silly, desperate and cold. She lifted up the collar of her coat and placed her gloved hands back into the pockets.

It wasn't too long before a familiar sleek, black Cadillac turned onto the street. For once, Charlie didn't try to play it cool. She walked down the steps of the stoop and onto the sidewalk and held up her hand.

The car abruptly stopped. Ringo hopped out of the back and practically bounced over to her. "Hello, love." He warmly greeted her and pressed a friendly kiss to her cheek. 

His familiarity with her made Charlie feel slightly uncomfortable. "Hey."

"You weren't outside long, were you?" They walked to the waiting car. He continued, "It took longer to leave the hotel than I thought it would." Ringo apologetically stated and ushered her inside the car. He slid in next to her and closed the door.

"No, I just stepped outside when you pulled up."

"Good." He smiled. "You look lovely."

"Thank you. You look," She paused briefly. Charlie wasn't comfortable handing out compliments when she meant them.

"Dashing?" He replied good-naturedly.

The driver spoke up. "Where are the two of you headed?"

"I don't know." She replied absentmindedly. It was an innocent question, but it felt loaded with significance to her.

Ringo mentioned helpfully. "When we spoke on the phone earlier, you were talking about a restaurant that you -"

"Sherman's Barbeque." Charlie interrupted him.

"The rib joint between West 145th and 146th street, right?" The driver asked.

"Yes." She nodded and sat back. "Where's the big guy?"

Ringo chuckled. "Mal? He's got the night off, at least from me. I guess I've been deemed trustworthy enough to go off on me own without an escort." He explained. 

Charlie looked at the police officer seated in the front of the car on the passenger side. Ringo held his hand to cup the side of his mouth and lowered his voice. "Almost."

"What was it like to play Carnegie Hall?" She asked curiously.

"A bit of a mess. People in the audience were sitting on the stage. The acoustics were shit. I don't think it mattered to them. They just wanted to stare at The Beatles." He added with a chuckle. "Oh, and feel us up."

She frowned. "They don't have the right to do that to you."

"But, they think they do, and that is reason enough for them."

"You don't sound too bothered by it." She pointed out.

"It's part of the job."

"I just - I didn't like it when I - I wouldn't like it if something like that happened to me." She spoke haltingly, not wanting to say more on this particular subject.

"I wouldn't like it if that happened to you either. I know you can take care of yourself, but I don't want blokes pawing at you." He replied firmly.

She didn't think he was patronizing her. But, his concern was off-putting, he didn't know her enough to care. Charlie abruptly changed the subject. "I think you'll like the food at Sherman's."