Chapter Eight, Part One - Smoke Gets In Your Eyes

"Ringo." Brian tiredly rubbed his forehead. "I don't think you've thought through what you're asking of me."

The young man frowned. "I have and don't tell me that I haven't." Ringo defensively snapped. He thought the older man was talking down to him. It was easy for him to let dismissive comments slide off of his back, but not this time.

"Oh, I'm sure you have and please, don't misunderstand." Brian quickly replied.

Ringo felt he was being humored and that served to annoy him further.

Brian continued, "You understand, don't you?"

"She's coming with me." He didn't ask for much and wasn't one to make a fuss. Ringo was just happy to be along for the ride. But, he thought it was long overdue that he got what he wanted. And, he didn't feel bad that Brian would have to scramble to make the arrangements.

"Right then." Brian abruptly stated and stood up from the armchair. He tightened the sash of his silk robe. "I'll speak with the head of our security detail. I'll have Malcolm fetch her later. But, you should get some rest. It's quite late, and I need you and the other boys at your best tomorrow morning."

Ringo nodded and stood up from the sofa, but he wouldn't be able to sleep until things were settled. "Thank you, Bri."

"Yes, well, I'll always see to it that my boys are taken good care of by me." He reached out and awkwardly patted the young man's shoulder.

Ringo allowed Brian to lead him over to the door and see him out.

He was surprised that it'd been relatively easy to get his way. Ringo shook his head and briefly smiled to himself and headed down the hallway. He heard his mates and their entourage before he saw them and slipped back into his suite.

"I spoke to him," Ringo called out, but didn't receive a response. He headed toward the bedroom and stepped inside. Ringo was relieved to find that she hadn't given him the slip. "You've fallen asleep on me." He lightly spoke and switched on the bedroom light.

"I'm not sleeping. I'm just resting my eyes." She corrected him.

He chuckled and leaned against the door frame.

"I can't go with you," Charlie whispered.

Ringo nodded in response.

"You don't seem surprised."

Ringo shrugged, he wasn't surprised. What threw him for a loop was the sadness he felt. "Is it about them?" He frankly asked. At that moment, Ringo was jealous of John and Paul. He knew his place within the group. But, he wanted the spotlight to shine on him and him only, just this once.

Charlie answered sharply, "No."

Ringo's self-consciousness made him doubtful. "I suppose you'll be wanting to go?"

"Not really."

He briefly smiled. Ringo didn't understand her, but that was the charm of knowing Charlie, it was the getting to know her. "It's what you make of it."

"What is?"

"Us." He earnestly answered.

"I'm fine on my own." She stiffly replied.

"Are you?" Ringo walked over to the bed and sat down on the edge. He reached out and gently placed his hand on her shoulder.

She slightly turned her head and looked at him. "Are you?"

"No." He leaned down and pressed his mouth against Charlie's. "We could be though," Ringo mumbled against her mouth.

"Don't." She softly spoke.