Chapter Twenty-Seven

/GABRIEL'S POV\

Gabe stared right into the eyes of his father.

Chuck wore a white shirt. His skin looked unscathed, and his eyes were alert and bright, yet sad, not like they used to be. His full-on beard was cleanly shaven to a little bit of scruff. His teeth were white, much whiter then they used to be. They almost sparkled.

"My son," he whispered. He slowly reached out a hand. Gabriel's restrained from flinching, knowing he would just get a worse beating if he did so. Instead of a smack, Chuck's hand gently grazed his cheek in an affectionate, comforting gesture. "I'm so sorry," he croaked. His voice broke.

Sam chose that moment to step in with two cups of coffee. "Dearest, I got your coffee!" He grinned and handed Gabriel the coffee, kissing his cheek. "Dean said the Doc said that Cassie should be fine," he announced. Then, he turned to Chuck. "Who's this?"

"T-this is my father, Chuck." Sam's smile instantly faded. His eyes turned stone cold, before anger began to glitter in them. His hands shook so hard that his coffee almost smashed to the floor. Gabe grabbed it in time.

"How dare-"

Chuck whimpered. "I know!" He yelled. "I made a mistake! I'm sorry! I've gotten better, see?" He laughed humorlessly,  his eyes shining with tears.  The tears spilled over, his cheeks flushing, as if he were embarrassed to be crying. "I'm sober," he whispered. "I'm fine, I've gotten.... b-better."

Sam frowned, but it was empathetic. He glanced at Gabe, waiting for him to speak.  Chuck had to be a year sober, if not more. Just a couple days or months.... no. Gabriel had always been able to tell this stuff. He was definitely getting better, or at least trying.

"I believe you," he finally whispered. His throat tightened, and he thought he might get sick. "But you have to accept the fact that I have a boyfriend."

Chuck's eyebrows furrowed, and his lips crinkled into a smile. "I kind of noticed from the way he kissed your cheek, bud."  He wiped his tears away with the back of his hand. Then he pulled his son into a hug. Gabriel laughed a little, hugging back.

"Luci's going to be here," he whispered suddenly. "I hope-"

"I want to make amends with all my children, Gabriel. Not just you and Cas. I'm ready to apologize," he murmured.

Gabriel grinned, and, as if on cue, Lucifer skipped in. He froze to a stop abruptly. His eyes widened. He began backing away, his face twisting into pure agony. Sam swallowed, his face filling with pity for Lucifer. Gabriel had been sure his boyfriend despised Lucifer, but maybe he had understood that Lucifer had a lot of problems.

Chuck gulped. "My dear son," he whispered. "I'm so sorry for the way I treated you."

Lucifer backed up against a wall. He was breathing heavily. "Y-you could have called. It's been hell these passed years, you dick!" Lucifer  wailed. "You-" his voice cut into a sob.

Gabriel stepped forward. "He's been trying to do better, Luc'," Gabe whispered.

Lucifer sniffled, before quickly wiping away his tears. "Very well," he snapped. "But you'll have to prove it."

Gabriel smiled, and for once, he almost felt whole. Now, all that was missing was Cas.