James Raymond Elliot

A/N: Wow, I can't believe this book is coming to a close! Since I am so close to finishing (and you are almost done reading) I would love to hear your opinions on the characters and the plot of the book! Constructive criticism is welcome and I would love to hear your thoughts on how the book turned out!

I woke before Nella, her body pressed closely against mine and her hair tangled around her face. I smiled, her beauty even in sleep was breathtaking, and I carefully pulled my arm away from her without waking her.

"Have you heard anything from the outside?" She asked with a yawn, pulling her hair over her shoulder and rubbing her eyes with a lazy movement.

I shook my head, using the wall to keep myself upright, my crutch was hopelessly lost in the chaos of returning.

Without another question Nella swiftly stood and I helped her button the back of her dress. She twisted her hair in her hand and pulled it over her shoulder to be out of my way as my hands slowly made their way up her bare back to button the dress. My fingers brushed her skin and electricity sparked between our touch. She titled her head just enough to give me a knowing look beneath her thick lashes before I limped over to the canned foods to try and find the least horrible thing for Nella and I to eat.

Once I decided that none of it was going to be good and picked a random can, I sat back on the floor when Nella had spread out a sheet to sit on and I handed her a can.

"How are you, my dear?" I asked softly as we began to eat. My own mind was foggy and unsettled. Nothing felt real in this separated room.

She smirked slightly, but her eyes still looked slightly nervous, as if she were afraid we were still in danger.

Her smile fell quickly and she pursed her lips in thought. "I'm fine, are you?" She asked with a raised eyebrow.

I was quiet for a moment. I naturally wanted to say yes, of course I was okay. That would be the prince thing to do, but in this room with only Nella, I was no longer a prince.

I was just James.

  I shrugged. "I don't know. It doesn't seem real. My parents. . . I even saw my brother Charles on the floor, I don't know if Ana saw him or not but-" my voice caught as I thought of my baby brother's body resting on the cold stone floor. My mind vividly wandered to the thought of his hands no longer being warm, and his eyes never opening again. He was so young.

I quickly sat down my can of food to hide the fact that my hands were shaking.

  Nella nodded and took my hand. She squeezed it tightly so it would stop trembling, and I was satisfied with the reassurance that my calm would always be in the center of the storm.

"I understand. . . I felt the same way when my father died." She said softly.

Before I could respond, a rattling from the doorway breaks our conversation.

Nella stands quickly, her hands at ready, and then helps me stand.

I wrap my arm around her waist and she does the same, both of us supporting one another as we waited to see if friend or foe was about to enter.

Then the stone wall slips open and real light floods the room, I squint my eyes at the brightness.

"James!" Yelled a voice and I was suddenly in a bone cracking hug and realized it was August.