A fish and chip killer.

An awkward moment passed. You seemed to be getting a lot of these now. The tension radiating from Sherlock was so thick that you'd need a chainsaw to cut through it, and you were trying to not laugh at his almost childlike expression of annoyance.

"Everything's fine, Molly. Now why did you call us in??

"Uh, I-I think it's best if I show you."

God, Molly was so smitten with Sherlock it felt sickening. You could practically feel the desperation and neediness oozing off of her. You looked at her. Blushing, bright eyes and smiling, you wondered how Sherlock could pay no attention to her. Oh right, he doesn't do relationships. Snapping out of your thoughts, you saw that they had started to walk into the hospital so you quickly ran after them.

Even though you'd only been working with Molly for a month, the autopsy lab felt like a second home to you now, and you easily slipped into the routine of taking off your navy jacket and putting on the perfectly white lab coat and latex gloves. You could feel Sherlock staring at you. Probably still pissed off. And you still had to live with him. But right now you had to focus on the body. Ugh, the guy had been dead for a while but you felt that he still gave off a decaying stench. Molly was about to say something when Sherlock interrupted. No wonder so many people hated him.

"Push up his eyelids." Molly being closest, she did as Sherlock said and you saw something unusual. Frostbite. In the EYES. And you remembered something you learned in a biology class. Frostbite occurs in the eyes and fingers if the victim has swallowed,

"Bleach. Is that what you found, Molly?" She nods and says.

"That's right ______. But something else was bothering me. You see these rashes?" She points to rashes on the victim's arm and torso.

"These aren't normal, scratch-your-skin rashes, so I did another test and it came up with a high reading for-

"Magnesium oxide." Sherlock answered this one. You and Molly both turned aroun to look at him. He seemed to be in a zone where it was just him and the case. Oh wait, that's him all the fucking time. No, it looked more like he was completely absorbed in solving the puzzle whilst taking in new information. Once he shut up about how obvious everything was and lost his smug look, he looked almost attractive. To be honest, you could see how Molly was so infatuated with him but he was just too annoying. And you yourself didn't easily trust people so you usually avoided relationships as well. Oh, but it was fun watching people in them.

"The victim was murdered by his brother," Sherlock said and walked out. You and Molly looked at each other before running after him, you remembering to grab your jacket on the way.

"Wait Sherlock, you've got to tell us how you knew that."

"Oh Molly, it was simple. You finding the frostbite in the eyes confirmed my suspicions." Then he told us how he found out. The victim's last meal was a fish supper. His brother had offered to get the whole family a celebratory meal after some football match. The brother was the only person in the family with any interest in science so that "ruled out" anyone else in the family. He then mixed magnesium oxide into the salt, and bleach into the vinegar. Only into the victim's portion of course. After the supper, the victim went out drinking with his friends (as we had known). Because the chemicals were mixed, the reaction was delayed and he died outside the pub.

"It was a smart idea but he would have had to use at least 2 cups of bleach. It's a wonder the victim didn't catch him out. In short, his brother got lucky. Well, in the murder part. Not so lucky in trying to outsmart the police though," He smirked to himself and looked back at the two of you. After a few seconds of silence (which I guess was a kind of goodbye thing), Molly went back inside to get her stuff and you walked up to the kerb and stood there waiting for yet another cab. You tried to make small talk.

"Uh... That was some good work, Sherlock. Even felt like some teamwork was going on." He stood silent then nodded. So much for small talk.

"______, you did a satisfying job for an assistant. You're getting better."

"Oh. Thanks, I guess." Eventually a cab came and you got back to your beloved Baker Street. You were pretty tired and your watch showed it was 1am, so you were looking forward to a good night's sleep. Just before you unlocked your door, Sherlock stopped behind you and said,

"You say you pity me, but you're exactly the same. And what I say now, I know you'll sympathise with." You turned around and saw his face right next to yours, carrying a half determined, half angry expression.

"Alone is what I have. Alone protects me."