The irritations of hospitals.

A cold swept though you. You shivered and opened your eyes. Argh, you shouldn't have done that. The bright white light made you squint and you brought your hand up to rub sleep from your eyes. Well, you would have if you weren't stopped by the pain surging from your arm. You saw white, everywhere. And you heard that beeping sound again. Turning your head, you could see it was a heart rate monitor. Oh. So you managed to land yourself in a hospital. You hadn't even been here for 3 months and you managed to hurt yourself in some way. Brilliant job there! You tried sitting up but your limbs felt stiff and heavy. And you felt a sudden pain in your stomach. It took you a while before you remembered what happened. You were stabbed. But there was something else, something that caused you to cry out when you finally managed to sit up straight. You felt around your side. There was a cast around your ribs. Oh no. You managed to break ribs as well? But how, you couldn't remember- 

Bright lights. A truck of some sort. The impact it made when the bonnet collided with your body. You shuddered as you remembered. Part of your brain registered the increased beeps the monitor was making now. But the memory filled up your mind. It wasn't even a proper memory. Just sounds, sights and pain. You were running. You could hear shouting behind you but there was another sound. The sound of tyres on an empty road. But you didn't look. And then you felt it. 3 tonnes of metal travelling at top speed. You screaming as the impact pressed on your wound and then darkness. You must have gone unconscience but you were sure you'd said something, something that was important. Maybe you were just babbling. 

And Sherlock... Well, he probably left as soon as he could. He must have had the decency to call an ambulance but you were positive he left before you were picked up. He must've left. After all, why would he stay? You felt a smile tugging at the corners of your mouth but quickly changed expression. Stupid. He doesn't find you interesting. What's interesting about you? Nothing. You picked at the thin blanket covering you as a slow wave of anger steadily started to course through. Of course he doesn't find you interesting, in any way. He's Sherlock Holmes, the world's only 'consulting detective' and who are you? Nobody. Just a little baby assistant to a medical examiner. Again, part of your brain focused on those beeps, which had steadily gotten faster. 

So irritating. Really, did nobody think to turn the stupid thing off?! Some people are trying to think! Your hand twitched as your irritation caused a flood of adrenaline. Still, they went faster. Why couldn't they stop?! Wasn't there supposed to be a nurse standing by?! Fuck it. If no one wants to help, then you'd have to do the job yourself. You flung your legs out of the bed and gingerly put weight on them. It didn't seem to hurt much, compared to your ribs, so you stepped forward to rip the cables out. As soon as you'd taken that step, your ankle protested, and the pain was so bad you felt tears forming in your eyes. But the beeps stayed frantic and loud so you gritted your teeth and used your surge of adrenaline to rip out every one of the cables attached to the monitor.  

And silence. You heard footsteps in the background but they were just a whisper on the wind. You fell onto the bed and closed your eyes, basking in the peace and quiet. Before you drifted off to sleep, you heard shouting again but this, you could tolerate.  

The nurses burst into the room in time to see your wide smile before your face relaxed as you lost conscienceness. 

*beep*

*beep*

*beep*

You frowned, your eyes still closed. You were certain those were the same beeps of the monitor but you pulled the cables out. You knew you did. You opened your eyes to the bright lights again and looked sideways. Oh, for frickety-frack's sake! You just wanted some quiet! You started to sit up again until you heard a voice. 

"______, I know the monitor is irritating but it seems to be itself in helping the doctors know whether you're dead or alive, so it'd be great if you stopped yourself from pulling out the cables again. You almost gave the doctors a heart attack." You looked to the other side of the bed, where the voice came from. 

Him. 

Again.