Tenchi Bridge

“…hm?” I looked down at the now awake form in my arms. She was out for about three hours while we still travelled. I sighed a breath of relief.

“You ok?” She nodded before clutching her head in pain.

“What happened?” I shook my head.

“Nothing. It was just a nightmare.” I told her and she just nodded.

“We should probably stop here for the night.” Neji said as he came to a stop. We all nodded and Gai and Lee started building the tents while Neji went to find food, TenTen and I along with Kohana went to refill our water.

“You ok?” I asked TenTen. Her shoulder wasn’t entirely healed but it was better after Ibiki’s teammate helped.

“Yeah, just need to change the bandages before an infection starts.” I nodded.

“I’ll help you.” She thanked me as we refilled our water at the river. Kohana was sitting, watching us before she fell onto the grass and stared up at the stars.

“The stars are so pretty…” She muttered and I looked up. She was right. The stars were real clear tonight.

“Let’s go.” TenTen said and I nodded before helping Kohana onto my back. When we reached camp there were fresh fish for us to eat. Gai and Lee were already eating and Neji waited for us. We thanked him and began eating. After that I helped TenTen change her bandages in our tent before we all slept. TenTen, Kohana and I shared a tent while the boys had their own.

When we woke up we heard Kohana’s scream and we all immediately got up. We rushed out to see three ninja wearing masks. They had Kohana with them, forcing her to not move.

“Leave her!” Lee yelled while charging at one of them who will be called #1. #2 is Kohana’s capturer. #3 is buys charging at me. Oops. As he was about to swing at me with his kunai I crouched down. Neji then suddenly appeared behind me and over my crouched position, he attacked.

“Eight Trigrams: Mountain Crusher!” He yelled and a powerful chakra emitted from his hand, sending #3 back against a tree. I then charged at #2 who was trying to escape with Kohana.

“Banshō Ten'in.” (Universal Pull) I yelled and Kohana was sent back, right into my arms. I held her tight as I soothed her.

“Gentle Fist!” Neji yelled as he finished off #3 who came to attack again but managed to get in front of me just in time. I thanked hi mbefore going back to sooth Kohana.

“Leaf Coiling Whirlwind!” Lee and Gai yelled as they both did roundhouse kicks to #1’s face, sending him back into a tree. His mask flew off and I saw a clear signature sign of Kirigakure, Hidden in the Mist.  

“Manipulated Tools: Binding Meteor!” TenTen yelled as she restrained #2 with a manriki-gusari before unleashing a barrage of weapons at him. He couldn’t dodge, taking all the hits to his body and face. They all fell to the ground, either dead or unconscious I’m not sure.

“Kirigakure. They must be the ones that want to take her hostage.” Neji informed and I looked down at Kohana.

“Will she really be safe at her home? Won’t she get attacked there?” I asked, making everyone come to a realization.

“No…they are too scared to come to Kusagakure…” Kohana mumbled which made us all stare at her.

“Why?” I asked, curious.

“Because Orochimaru is somewhere in the country, and they are scared of him. But it keeps us safe. Orochimaru doesn’t ever come to Kusagakure.”

“But then why did he attack us? Wasn’t he trying to capture you?” Neji asked while narrowing his eyes. Kohana looked down, sadly while I was mentally freaking out.

“It wasn’t me he was after…” She stayed quiet for a while before looking up at me. “He wanted to capture Kaiya…” Neji frowned while the rest looked confused.

“For what?” Lee asked and I looked up at them. I haven’t put my contacts back in because I was afraid in battle I couldn’t get them off fast enough. Realization dawned upon their faces as they stared at my eyes.

“We should start moving again.” Neji said after a while, breaking the awkward silence and we all agreed. We weren’t far from the Tenchi bridge. We’ve been traveling for two days now, only one more day remaining before we leave again. We were traveling in silica, but it was comfortable. Kohana was on my back, busy weaving my hair while humming some sort of song. We camped out one more night and then went to the bridge. We didn’t get attacked or anything, it was all peaceful. At the Tenchi bridge Kohana jumped off my back and ran to her parents who were waiting there.

“Mama!” She yelled and jumped into her mother’s arms. They were all soothing and reassuring each other.

“Thank you very much for bringing my daughter back to us.” Her father said as he bowed in a thank. After a long good bye with Kohana not letting my legs go, we finally left. But little did we know that something was going to happen to Kohana as soon as she set foot into Kusagakure….