Not A Prom Date

•Lauren•

"Dude, have you asked Camila yet?" Lucy asks nonchalantly, munching on her plastic fork out of boredom.

I look up from the homework that I forgot to do last night in confusion, looking around at the table filled with curious faces.

"A-asked her what?" I say, scrunching my eyebrows, deciding to focus back on my homework since my grade in English 4 Honors matters more than their antics.

"To prom?"

"I'm sorry, what about prom?" I ask offhandedly, writing down answers as they talked among themselves.

"Look, I know that since you kissed Lucy that many years ago, you've been hopelessly in love with her–"

"What the fuck?!" I say, giggling at Vero's antics, everyone else laughing along.

"But seriously, when are you asking Camila to prom?" Lucy says in a serious tone. I see my pen fly across the paper, but I can't feel it because what did she just ask me?

"Wha- why would I– what?" I ask in shock, staring around my table to see if my friends were joking.

Nope, not a joke.

"She-she's a nice girl and all, but isn't she an underclassmen? Wouldn't I have to get a special form for her? I would have to ask Sinu for permission, and I'd have to get her a corsage! Or wait, do I need to get her a corsage, we are both women. Prom is literally next week, she'd have to get a dress so fast and she'd probably be mad at me for waiting to ask and– wait, what?"

"Wow, that's a lot of worrying for someone who hasn't even asked yet." Normani says sarcastically.

"No, wait, I can't ask her–"

"Yo, Cabello!" Lucy says loudly to Camila who was sitting at the very opposite end of the loud cafeteria. Everyone quickly silences, wondering why Lucy was yelling.

My eyes widen and I want to sink into the floor. I can see Camila nervously look up and shout, "Yes, Lucy?" from across the room.

"Lauren needs to ask you something!"

"Oh, okay, I'll just–"

"No, stay there!" Lucy says, and Camila nods in confusion. I glare at Lucy, wondering why on all days, today had to be the day that she drew attention to herself.

My friends urge me to stand up, and I almost don't, but then I see the hopeful expression on Camila's face, and how could I say no to that?

"Camila?" I say, but it sounded like a question more than a statement. I clear my throat and stand straight.

"Yes?"

"I said I'd make it up to you."

"Okay..."

"Do you wanna go to prom with me?" I say quietly.

"What?" She shouts. I sigh, wondering if I should really be doing this.

Screw it, I don't want to go to prom alone.

So I do an insanely cheesy move that I learned from my good High School Musical friend Chad, and stand up on the table. I nervously scruff my boots against the table, staring down at my friends, strangers, and Camila.

"Do you wanna go to prom with me?" I can hear the entire cafeteria start to riot, most likely wondering why on Earth I was asking Camila out to prom since I was apparently unattached to everybody.

I can see Camila stagger on her feet, leaning on Dinah who pushes her forward. She smiles, looking at me in pure joy and I smile.

"Yeah, sure." She shouts cooly. If it weren't already loud from before, it became even louder. I stand there proudly, looking at Camila who was being congratulated by Dinah with a soft smile.

░░░

"You utter asshole, when will you ask me to prom on a table?" I hear a girl hiss at her boyfriend as they pass me.

"Babe, I already asked you to pro-"

"You asked me while I was giving you a quickie!" She hissed quieter. I snort, not believing they were having this conversation in public.

"I gave you flowers later, didn't I?" As their voices fade, I snicker, heading over to my locker where I saw a small girl with wavy blond hair and big brown eyes.

"Oh, sorry I'm late. I was coming from gym. Hi, how are you?" I say, looking at the girl who looked a teeny bit regretful.

"I don't think I should be here." She said quickly, trying to walk away but I caught her before she could get away.

"It's okay to be nervous, but don't worry, I won't make your crush fall in love me or anything." I try to say comfortingly, but she wasn't having it.

"Won't your girlfriend be jealous?"

"M-my who?" I ask in confusion.

"Camila, the girl you asked to prom earlier?" The girl asked, more confused than I was.

Camila? Why would she be jealo– oh.

If Camila is my girlfriend, then maybe will people layoff with the lip locks. That seems a bit mean, but Camila knows that I hate doing Lip Locks, so she would understand, right?

"Yeah, I forgot! That girl– sure is the jealous type, but I love her! Off you go!" I say, ushering the poor girl away. Hopefully Camila won't be offended when I tell her that people think that we're dating.

______________

This chapter is hella short sorry.

I haven't updated since my bday (june 17)

It's been 84 years sorry guys

~ InTheseWalls xo