Which Dress?

"Why are you calling me?" Lauren asks as she rummages around her room for a pair of shorts that she's misplaced among her mess. Lauren recalls somewhere during their call that Camila asked her to get ready because she was coming to get her.

"Oh, I- I don't know. My mamí said that she was going to drop off at the mall, and since I haven't gotten my dress..." Camila trails off.

Lauren stops what she's doing, and asks with confusion laced in her voice, "W-why are you taking me to the mall? I don't need to get anything."

"Dude, I haven't gotten my prom dress and I was hoping you'd help me find one. You know how indecisive I am." Lauren face palms, because she forgot that she actually asked Camila to prom.

If she hadn't asked her to prom, they wouldn't have ended up fake dating.

"Right, okay. Do you have a color scheme in mind or some shit?"

░░░

"Which style should I get? Like a mermaid dress, or ruffles? I don't know, I don't really like ruffles? I think?" Camila starts as soon as she steps into a store full of luxurious dresses.

She starts frantically searching through a rack, "Which fabric should get?" She suddenly stops, and runs to the other side of the store, nearly knocking out a pregnant woman with three kids. The woman glares at her but keeps walking.

"Wait, which color should I get?" Lauren casually walks over to her with wide eyes, surprised by this frantic side that Camila is showing.

"May I help you today?" An employee appears from out of nowhere just as Camila is about to run to another corner of the huge store.

Camila smiles thankfully at the employee and excitedly starts discussing different color palettes and fabrics.

Lauren stares at the both of them in frustration. She looks around the store, and heads towards the section of red dresses. Camila senses that she left and hurries after her.

Lauren picks up the first five dresses she can find, and tosses them at Camila who was right behind her.

"You look good in red." Lauren says simply, crossing her fingers.

"I do?" Camila asks, leaning her head to the side in confusion.

Lauren looks down at her feet, trying to fight the blush she felt coming.

"Just go try them on you loser." Lauren says, leading Camila towards the dressing room by her wrist. Camila quickly heads into a fitting room and closes the curtain.

"She's cute." Someone from behind Lauren says. Lauren jumps, turning around to see the employee for earlier.

"Uhm, I guess?" Lauren says, uncomfortable by the stranger talking about her friend.

"You guys make a really attractive couple." Lauren chokes on her spit the same time a thump comes from Camila's room. They both turn to her, the employee barging in.

Lauren would have yelled at her but she remembered that at dress stores, employees are sort of obligated to help a customer into their dress.

"Hey, Lauren, are we going to match or should we have like contrasting colors? What is the complementary color of red?"

"I don't look good in green."

"Oh shut up, you look good in everything." The sound of a zipper can be heard covering the awkward silence.

"Plus, it would match your eyes." Camila says nonchalantly as she steps out of the room, the curtain hitting the employee in the face.

The dress was pleated and had way too long, the collar sparkling too bright because of the sequins that covered the dress.

"What the– no, try on the next one." Lauren motioned for her to change. Camila grunts and closes the curtain again.

They continue like that for maybe ten minutes before Camila steps put the with final dress.

The dress has spaghetti straps, and an intricate red overlay and wow, Camila looks really good. 

"Yes, okay, that's the one." Lauren says, gesturing for Camila to spin around. Camila, who has slowly getting frustrated at Lauren's impatience just complies, just happy Lauren liked something on her.

"So, which dress shall you be buying today?" The employee asks Lauren, secretly hoping Lauren isn't as picky as Camila.

Upon hearing that, Camila quickly but carefully changes out of the dress, into her clothes, and drags Lauren back to where the dresses are.

░░░

"Hey, so are we going in a group, or solo?" Camila asks as she digs into her spaghetti. Lauren stares at her with a soft smile as she sees that she's getting sauce all around her mouth.

Lauren coughs, focusing on her pizza as she says, "We'll go solo. Should we eat before or after?"

"How about we eat before and after prom?" Camila suggests in a joking tone, but was completely serious.

Lauren stares at her blankly, and raises her hand for a high five. When Camila gives her a high five, she says, "You, my friend, are a true intellectual."

"But you're the actual intellectual here. You're in all honors classes and you have extra credit, too." Camila says, a teeny bit upset because she wishes she were as smart as Lauren. Not that she would ever say that out loud, Lauren would most likely yell at her to appreciate herself.

"We're both smart. Grades and classes don't measure your intelligence." Lauren says sincerely, placing her hand on Camila's hand that was resting on the table.

Camila tries not to blush at the gesture, instead smiling thankfully. 

They sit like that for a while, eating in silence. Camila sneaks glances, and Lauren keeps eating, not remembering that they were still holding hands.

_______________

A bit of a soft chapter because I live for softness plus this story lacks in softness

Hey okay I know that I didn't update last week but I was super busy

PLEASE DON'T BE MAD AT ME IT'S MY BIRTHDAY TODAY and my friend is also turning 19 today (we're soulmates) so YAY

Btw I sorta envisioned Camila's prom dress as the dress she wore at the BBMAs (I was watching the pre show thing for BTS but I actually was so happy to see Camila, plus her dress was so pretty)

Okay so byeee

~ InTheseWalls xo