Chapter Twenty: Partners

Niall Horan

I am so bored.

How much longer is this class?

When is break? I really need a break right now. 

I lifted my head up from the table and glanced at the clock that was sitting on the classroom's wall. There was still over a half hour left for this class, causing me to roll my eyes. I wanted to desperately finish the school day and leave already even though my school day had just started.

My eyes looked upon the teacher—Ms. Donna—who was in the front of the classroom talking about an upcoming assignment or project which I had no clue what it was on because I was not listening from the moment she started talking about it.

"For this assignment, you will work in partners."

Okay, good. Harry can be my partner and then he could explain to me what the hell we are even doing. 

I straightened my posture as I looked above the students' heads over to the back of Harry's head. He seemed to be carefully listening to everything Ms. Donna was saying as always. There was no doubt he would know what is going on. 

"Considering how you all did last time when you got to choose your partners, I have decided to pick your partners this time instead."

Well. . .shit. 

I looked over to Ms. Donna, giving her an are you serious look as she walked back to her desk to get the clipboard which most likely contained all of our names paired up with somebody else's. Before she began announcing the names, she started off by warning us that we should not move with our partners until she finished naming everybody. 

Okay, no worries. 

If I'm right, this story should be moving forward smoothly with Harry being picked as my partner because of some magical force in the universe that pushes us together so we can both succeed in the end. 

Worse case scenario, I could get paired up with somebody who ends up doing nothing. 

Ms. Donna was already halfway through listing the partners when I began getting a little bit anxious. My eyes kept flickering between Ms. Donna and Harry as I awaited to hear Harry and I's names come out of her mouth. 

My heart basically stopped when Ms. Donna started saying, "Niall and. . ."

Harry. Harry. Harry. 

Say Harry. You better say Harry. 

It's Harry, I just know it. 

She paused as she squinted at her clipboard while running her index finger down the page, building up the suspense. I began to subconsciously bounce my leg  and chew my lip which caught the attention of somebody sitting a row over at my side.

I turned towards that person who was looking right at me and made swift eye contact with no other than—

". . .Elliot. Niall and Elliot."

I turned away from Elliot's stare at a fast speed in surprise before realizing a little bit too late on how awkward that must've looked. My eyes turned to gaze at Harry who seemed to be frowning yet looked unfazed by the setup. He was also obviously not listening into my thoughts at the current moment.

God, open up heaven and take me, please. 

Do it right now. Shine a bright light on me and help me levitate into the ceiling before I descend into the sweet gates of heaven.