Chapter Twenty-Three: A Dream & A Number

Niall Horan

I was at school. 

I was walking down the hall and going up the same usual staircase. Everything seemed normal. . . but at the same time not so normal. There was something off about today. I couldn't quite figure it out. 

I continued advancing up the stairs until I arrived to the floor with my classes on it. As I made my way through the hall, passing by people who seemed to go by like a blur, I finally noticed something. I slowed down my walking to stop at a halt. I stood in the middle of the hallway utterly confused. 

I. . . I don't remember ever getting up for school today?

Or even coming to school?

How did I even get here?

My first assumption would be Louis. But if Louis had driven me to school, he would be by my side right now. And he's not. So he's obviously ruled out. I tried to remember anything from that morning but nothing came to my mind which was really unusual. 

I sighed, letting my shoulders slump, only to feel my suddenly heavy schoolbag add more to my gravitational pull on the earth.

Chemistry. 

I spaced out for a split second before something tall walked passed me. I looked up to the figure walking down the hall only to recognize the figure as Harry. He was in his usual black skinny jeans and converse. He wore a black shirt with a flannel over it and carried nothing but a few books in his hand. 

"Harry!" I exclaimed, grabbing onto my bulky schoolbag and walking fast to catch up to Harry. 

"Hey," I smiled up at him. "I am having some weird, trippy experience right now. Now before you even ask, no I don't think I took any drugs. I don't take drugs, you know? But it's so weird it's—Harry?"

He continued walking at the steady pace I was walking at but he never once turned to look at me. He stared straight ahead, his face expressionless. It seemed like he didn't even hear anything of what I just said. 

"Harry? Are you okay?" I asked. I felt like the heavy weight from my schoolbag suddenly landed on my chest. 

Why aren't you answering?

"Are you mad at me?" I questioned. Again, no answer. "If I did something, you should tell me instead of ignoring me. I can take the truth. Unless. . . you're hiding something from me?"

It was then that I noticed the way Harry looked. Not only how he looked but how the school looked. I took a look around. The atmosphere was. . . dark. Harry seemed empty. It was like he was an actual human robot but with no emotions. 

"Ha—"rry?

What?

Why can't I speak to him anymore?

I can't talk at all. 

Am I trapped inside my own mind?

I was put to a sudden halt. I couldn't move anymore. Am I stuck to the floor? You have to be kidding me. I struggled trying to get my feet to continue walking only to notice that Harry had walked right pass me again. 

He didn't look back, not once. 

Harry, don't you dare keep walking.

Harry!

Damn it, Harry. This isn't funny. 

Harry!

No matter how much I tried, I couldn't scream loud enough in my thoughts. I watched Harry continue going down the never ending hallway of hell.