Chapter Thirty-Two: Residue

Niall Horan

It felt like I was underwater. I looked around me, trying to focus on something but I couldn't. There were many faces looking in my direction, speaking, but I couldn't hear them because I was stuck too deep underneath the water. I wasn't one to make situations into epic poems but the only way I could describe the way I was feeling at that moment was like I was drifting downwards in the ocean of my emotions, which were currently all over the place. My scattered feelings created harsh waves that I struggled against. 

Of course I become the world's greatest poet at a time like this. 

"Huh?" I said when someone finished talking to me. I completely missed everything they said because I was stuck in my thought bubble. From the corner of my eye I saw the bleachers begin to empty out as people started leaving. 

The game was over, after all.

"I said congrats man. It must have taken a lot of courage for you and Elliot to kiss in front of tons of people. I support you guys," some kid I've never talked to said to me. The people around us had painted smiles on their faces and nodded in agreement with his statement. 

"Oh, uh, thanks," I awkwardly replied with my face running hot. I was still not digesting what had happened. Harry was no longer by my side but instead somewhere behind me, probably wiping away his tears. That reminded me that I had some tears of my own which I quickly patted away with my hands. 

"Yeah, yeah! No problem. I'll see you then," the guy said before wrapping an arm around his girlfriend? and leaving. The rest of the people who were grouped around us said their goodbyes to me and to their friends before dispersing in different directions like spilled water. 

"What?" I said out loud to no one in particular. 

"Okay. Take it easy buddy. You're probably in some sort of state of shock," Louis came up to me from behind and took a hold of my shoulders. 

"I―I don't know what to do with myself," I truthfully stated to Lou. 

"Well neither do I, but my best bet is all we can do right now is go home," He said, pulled me backwards to then spin me around towards the direction of the exit. He gently pushed me forward while I walked in a zombie-like trance. 

I had always imagined a moment like this with Elliot. 

Something spontaneous and romantic. 

But. . .but??

I don't know.

I don't know how I should react or if I am going to explode from an episode of overwhelming feelings. 

Louis and I made it to the parking lot with Harry and Liam trailing a little farther behind us. I was still being led by Lou through the parking lot when I heard my name being called. Louis and I stopped just before the turn of a corner and looked behind us. 

Elliot came out from a gray, heavy door with a smile and his hand waving at us. 

"Ah?" Apparently I forgot the basics of the English language. 

"Can I talk to you? Actually, I could drive you home afterwards if you want. I just really need to talk to you," He said. 

"Uh," I looked over to Louis like a child asking for permission from their parent to stay over at a friend's house. Louis looked at me with toned down shocked expression before inhaling slowly and squeezing my shoulder. When he exhaled slowly, he let go of me and stepped aside to let me through. 

"Oh," I said. 

I don't know what I was expecting.

"Use actual words, you walnut," Louis said just above a whisper.