Chapter 4

Driving behind Elena was like driving behind a hearse. I didn't think it was possible to actually drive this slow. Learn something new every day. Elena is safety conscious. Not a bad quality in a tenant, i guess.

You may notice my over analysis of  people, like i'm trying to work them out constantly. It's just something I do, I've got issues. But then I am a teenage orphan so it's pretty normal for us people.

People have to earn my trust, and to be honest that's a pretty high price since I trust no one.

Pulling into a two car drive way beside Elena's car, I take my first look up at the Gilbert house.

Huh, looks nice - a real family home.

"Suck it up, Bi. Not the time to get all sentimental" I murmured to my self, It was important not to make a first impression of weakness.

Stepping out of my Beety Beetle (yes, that is his name) Elena called me over to the front door, with no Jeremy in sight.

"Oh, he went inside already, sorry about him--"

"No, no, don't apologise, Elena! Like you said, he's just  a teenage guy - they all go through the moody stage"

With a smile of new found companionship Elena opened the door for me "Come on in, Bi, you're starting to look gormless just like Jeremy!" gasping in mock horror, receiving a giggle from Elena, I walked into the house closing the door on my way in.

Nice. The door was made of a solid mahogoney in this beautiful chestnut brown colour.

Before, you get all 'Oh dear God, she has a wood fetish' (no pun intended ;) ), it's just whenever I touch something it's like my senses see a lot more. Nothing crazy, just the basic - 'Oh what's this? *touch* stuffed toy monkey'. 

I'm intuitive. I do not, I repeat, do not have a wood fetish (again, no pun intended ;) )

Oh, my teenage sarcastic hormones.

Anyway, my inner ramblings have started again. Back to Elena.

Following Elena into the kitchen she opens the refrigerator, "Do you want anything? we haven't had guests in a while" another awkward silence, why do those keep on happening in association with this family? "so, um we have juice, or ... water, we have juice or water?"

"A water would be great, thank you. So, how did a pair of kids get hooked up with a house to themselves? Rich parents? Emancipated?"

Still at the refrigerator, Elena stands up quickly still facing away from me stock still.

Awkward silence.

My conscience tells me to ask her whats wrong but then my head tells me to butt out of her business...

"Hey, Elena, sorry what's wrong? Did I say something?" (Conscience wins!)

Walking to face her, I find a glassy eyed Elena staring directly at the floor.

She looked so vulnerable, so sad.

A weird feeling came over me all of a sudden, what is that? compassion, worry?

I felt sad because she was sad, and I was worried about Jeremy for some reason; where was that kid anyway?

Feeling awkward because I never do this, I stretched out  my arms and put them around her lightly patting her back.

Reacting instantly, Elena hung onto me like she needed me to hold herself together.

"My parents, they um-- they died in a car accident-- about a year ago--" her sobbing continued, my arms with no mind of their own instantly squeezing her tighter to me.

A bond was growing between us, it just felt like i'd known her my entire life. Like a sister.

" Lucciola lucciola, gialla gialla

metti la briglia alla cavalla

che la vuole il figlio del re

lucciola lucciola vieni con me."

I sang softly to her as she continued to whimper, when I had finished she looked up at me like a child despite our matching heights.

"What language was that in? It was so pretty" smiling gently she pulled me towards the stairs with a new happy energy. "You'll have to teach it to me so we can sing it to Jeremy; he has trouble sleeping sometimes" looking at me in a way that i some how understood as hope.

They needed me.

"Come on, Bi, don't take all day. We have to sort out your bed stuff for tonight."

So, I was staying? Just like that, these people who had lost all they loved ones wanted me to live with them. Just like that.

Wow.

A genuine smile lit my face.

Family.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Laying in my new bed that night, I remembered something Elena had said earlier:

That afternoon

"What language was that in? It was so pretty"

I hadn't taken notice until now.

That song was pretty.

It was in Italian.

Like a lullaby.

The only thing was, I couldn't speak any foreign languages let alone Italian and I had never heard that song before in my life.