Chapter 9

Shane

I'm play tic tac toe with Jake because I'm bored out of my mind.

I draw an X.

"We need another game. This one sucks." I grumble.

I reach over to shift through papers for a blank one.

Hands are clasped on the bar.

Who-

My train of thought cuts off when I realize the hands are covered in rings.

Oh.

My heart starts slamming in my chest.

Slowly, my eyes drag up the person's body.

My eyes land on her face.

I can't move. I can't breathe.

She's here. She's standing right here.

Her brown eyes shine. She looks okay.

She looks okay. She's okay.

Her skin is perfectly tanned.

Her standing here makes me remember how incredibly beautiful she is.

I can't speak.

She's looking at me, right into my eyes.

I can't move.

Felicity

He's right there. He's right in front of me.

I don't have to imagine him or go off pictures.

I could touch him if I wanted. I could feel his warmth.

I could kiss his lips.

I could hold his hand. I could hug him.

Only, I don't know how.

I left him.

I left him. He could've moved on.

He could be with Heather.

I bet he is. She's liked him for a long time.

Neither one of us are speaking.

I need to be the one to talk.

I'm the one who ruined everything. I need to be the one to fix it.

I'm looking into his eyes. He stands up slowly.

I step back a little. Nervous, I start twisting a money keychain on my keys.

"I miss you." I whisper. I look up at him. His eyes are locked on me. "And um...I never believed in soulmates...or relationships...or...or any of that, but um..." I'm terrible at this. "I love you." I blurt. His eyes widen. "Oh god." I put my hand over my mouth. "I-that just came out. I just-I love you." I say, stumbling over my words. "I do, and I-I-I-I've been trying to keep walls up to shove the feelings down, but I can't anymore! I don't feel like fighting anymore. Hiding was never going to work out, because I love you. I am so in love with you. Ever since you looked me in the eyes right here, right where we're standing, I've been trying to hide it, but I can't." I shake my head. My hair starts falling, and I brush it back. "I just...I can't think anymore!" I throw my hands up, laughing nervously. "And I just can't...I can't sleep. I can't eat...I can't breath." My voice cracks and my eyes fill with tears. "And I miss you. I love you, and you better say something fast because I'm gonna start crying and that would be really bad because-"

He steps forward, kissing me, his hands on the side of my face, his fingers brushing against my neck. I completely melt against him, losing myself in his touch.