Arkenstone

Saphira's POV

Bard told us how Thorin would not keep his word. "You tried, that is all that matters" Father told him. "Will you fight by our side?" he asks Bard.

"I owe Thorin no loyalty and my people need some of the gold in the mountain to rebuild the town. Yes I will fight along your side King Thranduil" he answers.

"I only want the white gems the of the treasure is yours to do with as you wish" Father told him. Someone from the town came into the tent and whispered something in Bard's ear. "Go tend to your people and prepare them for battle" Father stated as he sat on his throne.

I stood by his side unsure of want to do. Thorin saved my life once on our journey and I have saved several of the dwarves lives including Bilbo's. But this is my Father and my kin should I not side with them. I don't want there to be any blood shed over a few gems even if they are heirlooms.

When Bard returned Gandalf was with him and I gave him a tight hug. "It is wonderful to see you alive and well Gandalf" I tell him. Then pulled back so that he, Bard and my father can talk.

"War is coming set aside your petty grievances and ally with the dwarves. You are all in danger" Gandalf tells my father.

"What do you mean?" Bard asks Gandalf stepping forward.

"I see you know nothing of wizards" my father stated coldly as he raised from his chair. "Sometimes a storm is just a storm" he finishes after saying wizards see everything as bad sign.

"That is not true father, I trust Gandalf with my life and it was because of him the dwarves aloud me to journey with them" I tell him firmly. I walked over to Gandalf's side to look at my father in the eyes. "You will allow him to speak" I state.

"Thank you princess Saphira, and not this time Thranduil" he tells us. "Orc armies are on the move and these are fighters" he begins to explain.

"They would have been bred for only one thing, war" I tell Bard and my father.

"Why does he show his hand now?" my father asks Gandalf.

"Because we forced him to, Thorin was suppose to never reach the mountain" Gandalf tells him.

"Azog was sent to kill them and claim the mountain himself for it's position" I state looking at Gandalf. Who nodded his head agreeing with my assumption.

"What position?" Bard asks Gandalf and I.

"It is a gate way to reclaiming Angmar in the north" Gandalf tells him.

"If Erebor was to fall so would; Rivendell, Lothlorien, the Shire and Gondor. As well as our realm father no matter how protected it is" I tell Bard then my Father.

"Where are the orc armies you speak of Gandalf?" father asks him.

"Why does that matter?" Bard and I ask him.

"It matters to me" Father states still looking at Gandalf.

"Since when has my council counted for so little?" Gandalf asks him.

"Gundabad" I whisper and the three men turned to me. "Legolas said the orcs we fought last night bared the mark of Gundabad. He and Tauriel went to check it out yesterday, have yt to return" I explain.

"I think you are trying to save your dwarf friends and I admire your loyalty. You started this Gandalf and I will finish it" Father tells us. "Are the archers in position?" father asks an elf guard.

"Yes my lord" the guard answers.

"Give the order anything that moves on the mountain is to be killed. The dwarves are out of time" Father tells him and Gandalf.

"Do you agree with this bowman? Does the blood of the dwarves worth a few gold coins?' Gandalf asks Bard.

"It will not come to that, this is a fight they cannot win" Bard assures him.

"That won't stop them" a small voice said behind us. We all turned to see Bilbo Baggins standing in the entrance to the tent. "They will fight to the death to defend their own" he tells us stepping into the tent.

"If I am not mistaking this is the halfling who stole my keys and freed the dwarves. Right under my guards noses" father stated looking at Bilbo.

"Yes, sorry about that" Bilbo says sheepishly avoiding my father's eyes. "I came to give you this" he says placing a stone onto the table. It glowed faintly in the sun light that shone through the tent flaps.

"The Arkenstone" Bard and I say as my father says 'the kings jewel'.

"How did you come by this?" Bard asks Bilbo.

"I took it as my fourteenth share" Bilbo explains.

"Why would you do this?" I ask him.

"You owe us no loyalty" Bard added.

"I am not doing it for you" Bilbo tells us as I wrap the stone in a clothe once again. "Thorin values this stone above all else and I have grown fond of the dwarves. I will save them if I can" he explains and I nod my head in understanding as I to am fond of the dwarves. "With the stone in your position he will honour his word and there will be no need for war" he tells us.

"I agree father, Thorin would do anything to get the stone back. He may even give us the gems you want" I tell my father.

"We have preparations to undertake then, leave us. Saphira guard that stone until we leave" Father tells us and the last bit to me. I nod my head and leave the tent to head over to the horses. Father told me he had brought Bella for me and I wished to see her. I knew we would be leaving soon and prepared her saddle. Just as my father appeared on his elk I mounted Bella to ride beside him.

A/N

Picture above of Arkenstone