12. I Laughed Because She Tried

Hi, guys! Sorry, I've been really busy with school. I'll update on Sunday too. I love you guys.

12.

"What the hell," Jamie scowled, looking at Cacee in disgust.

Cacee let out a low growl, and in a tempered voice she said, "I woke up like ten minutes ago, and I'd be suspended if I was late one more time."

Cacee had no makeup on; her hair was in a mangled bun that was drooping loosely. What seemed like a syrup stain covered the arrow on her in n out shirt.

I was in such shock with my best friend and her unruly appearance. I would rather be suspended than show up looking like that.

"You're as ugly as *insert whatever object or word you find fit*" I insulted her.

A sweet voice came up from behind me, "I t-think you'r-you're pretty, Cacee."

I looked at the Eliza who stood a few feet away, with a wide grin on her face. She was too happy and peppy. Her green eyes sparkled with pleasure as she stood plank straight.

Cacee seemed skeptical, nodding. Torn between caring and not caring.

She shurgged and gave Eliza a pity smile, then turned back to us.

"I s-said you looked g-good. I like your slip-pers," Eliza repeated, taking a step closer to us.

Eliza looked patheticly adorable standing there. I had to laugh.

Jamie rolled her hazel eyes, as Cacee said, "Thanks, I'm glad you think so."

There was an underlying message saying "No one gives a damn about what you think."

And everyone knew it.

It's not that we didn't respect her, it was just she didn't understand. She didn't understand that we were teasing Cacee and most of all Cacee didn't care or need assurance.

All I'm saying is everything would have been better if Eliza hadn't opened her mouth. Maybe then, she wouldn't be as embarrased.

She stood there with a rosy smile but furrowed eyebrows.

Sighing in defeat, I heard Eliza's footsteps echoed down the hall.

"She's so naive," I exclaimed, once she was further down the hall.

"I know right. What's her problem?" Cacee asked, annoyed.

"Don't know," Jamie said, then after a moment added, "Don't want to know."

Cacee chuckled as I threw a glance at Eliza who was opening the door to the art room.

I looked back at Cacee and Jamie who were arguing about something. My mind was miles away, thinking about the girl's smile.

But the thought was gone as Reece scurried past us.

I called his name, grabbing my backpack and chasing after him. He sped up, purposely trying to get away.

"Reece," I called for him again.

He stopped abruptly, turning around with a brute look on his face. He looked a little sick.

"I saw you throwing up last night," I explained, "and-"

"It's not what you think," his voice hitched.

I rode my eyebrows, " So the pie didn't make you sick?"

He formed an 'oh' with his mouth, "No, you're right. I'm a little lactose and tolerant, that's all."

I nodded abruptly, believing his lie. "Sorry, I guess I should have told you there was dairy in it."

I was honestly sorry.

He shrugged, "A little milk can't harm anyone too much."

I chuckled, "Yep."

He looked around, something catching his attention.

"Um, Molly, I got to go," he blurted, pushing past me.

I scowled as he leaped past things heading straight for the art room. Way to ditch me!

"No way!" Jamie came beside me, a smirk on her face, "You're on first name basis with Reece?"

I shrugged, "Yeah, we're neighbors."

She wiggled her eyebrows. I groaned, shoving her playfully.

"No way," I blurted, "He's hot, sure, but he's awkward."

"Awkward? How so?" she inquired, tilting her head.

"He's just,-" I stumbled for the right words, "a person. He's plain."

She chuckled, "Is that so? He's a really hot nobody."

Jamie called him a nobody. Nobody? What does that mean? Someone who no one notices? Or someone people notice but don't care about? Somebody who hides? Somebody who means nothing? Nothing. If someone is nothing, does that mean no on cares? Will no one miss them? Will no one think of their feelings? No one thinks they have feelings? No one thinks they will ever be anybody?

"A nobody," I echoed, still not understanding what that meant.

"And you-" Jamie spun around and pointed an accusing finger at Cacee, "are a whole load of nobody with bad breath."

She snorted, "I didn't have time to brush my teeth."

"Well," I said, critically, "let's go to the ladies room and fix you up."

"No guys! In a minute the bell will-" ring, "ring."

I laughed, "Right on cue."

"Cue my ass, we have to go," Cacee ran pathetically in her bunny slippers.

I had to agree with Eliza. I liked the slippers, too.

Comment! Vote! Share!