22. Bonus: I Laughed With Joy

Hey guys. 

Happy holidays! Or happy December! Or Happy anything! Last time I said I was going to add a part with a new character, but I'll do that next chapter.

I almost began crying (with joy) while writing this chapter. I go to physical therapy (beause I too couldn't walk for some years!) and there I've seen people stand and walk for the first time in their lives. It's so heartwarming and incredible.  

I think I've given too much of this chapter away. Without further a due-a holiday miracle.

22. 

I was going to visit my brother but seemed to have gotten lost in the long windy halls. I slowly pushed through large doors labeled Orthopedic Unit and was faced with something incredible

I couldn't believe my eyes. She had two trembling hands on parallel sterling bars. She had a complicated brace around her hip and leg; that had an infinite number of dials and screws.

She was standing.

And goddamnit, I stood there and saw her walk.

The fluorescent light caught on her blond hair, and her hair moved in a way I had never seen before. The way of it catching on her shoulder as she moved her lower body.

She took one shaky step, but it was a step nonetheless.

I was going to call out and cheer her on, but someone already beat me to it.

"Oh, London," Ashton glowed with pride. I could see his face, for real now. He had black tangled hair and a smooth baby face. His eyes weren't full of fear or panic or weren't daze with glowing screens.

His eyes were shimmering with joy.

"London!" I called, too excited.

London looked my way, gave me a broad smile.There was sweat falling down her face, and her cheeks were red from the painful effort of walking.

But I had never seen her so happy.

She took a few more steps in the parallel bar before sitting back down in her wheelchair.

I rushed over.

She was sobbing of such tender joy and accomplishment.

Ashton embraced her, pecking her on the lips.

Sure she was sweaty, but I ambushed them in a hug.

I didn't know London that well but watching her walk made me grow closer to her.

Behind her was her parents, who too were crying. They were leaning over looking at the picture on their phone, "This is going on the wall. The first time our baby girl walked."

I ended up crying too.

Happy holidays! I'll update next week, while I have part of the next chapter ready, I'm going to leave you guys with this quick chapter.

Be Brave. Be Kind.

Love,

Lena