(Ch 2) It Started with a Critique

Art is the desire of a man to express himself, to record the reactions of his personality to the world he lives in – Amy Lowell

It Started with a Critique

When Raina was right, she was right and I hated it more than anything to have to admit to her that she’d won.

It was the next day and all the senior girls – heck all girls in general – were buzzing with gossip about our mystery guy, Scott Grayson.

It seemed he’d made quite impression on the girls last night when he’d taken his ‘walk’. As I’ve said before I’m not one to listen to gossip, because, well most of the time it wasn’t true, but in Scott Grayson’s case I’m sure that the rumour about him hooking up with Natalie Kennedy was.

I swear, we might be sophisticated art students, but teenagers will be teenagers and teenagers of the twenty first century enjoyed a good gossip. I practically had to sidestep giggling girls on my way to breakfast this morning. They were all gathered in packs, heads clustered together, whispering who knows what.

I was just about to make my way to the eating hall, when my path was intercepted by more giggling girls, this time they were looking over my shoulder completely ignoring the polite gesture I made so that I may pass. Giving up all hope on the female population of Art Haven, I turned to see… well, what do you know… Scott Grayson.

Leaning against a tree was a girl I didn’t know, while Scott stood in front of her. She was pretty, I can give her that much, but the way she battered her eyelashes at Scott made me want to roll my eyes. He must have said something funny because the girl playfully wacked him on the arm and then slipped a piece of paper in his hand.

I can only imagine that her room number must be scribbled on the page, with a few hearts dotted on the page to indicate just how much she was into him.

Feeling suddenly sick, I decided to skip breakfast. I know, not the healthiest solution, but if you felt the way I did by that scene you’d skip breakfast too.

I was making my way back down the path when a familiar voice, one I’d hoped I’d never hear called out to me.

“Hey, Aria!”

I gritted my teeth. Maybe if I kept walking I could ignore him and later say I hadn’t heard him.

No such luck.

“You’re Aria right?” I turned to see Scott only a few inches from me.

I tried to smile, though I’m pretty sure it seemed insincere.

“We met last night, right. Red face Aria, right?”

At that moment I felt all the blood drain from my face. Well, at least I won’t be red face Aria anymore.

“It’s just Aria.” I got out between gritted teeth. “How you doing, Scott? Enjoying Art Haven so far?”

“Yeah,” he looked about him, “I am. It’s seems like a pretty great place to spend the summer.”

Then why do you look bored half the time.

“It is. Lots of things to see, people to do - I mean meet. Lots of things to do, people to meet, that’s what I meant.”

With a brows raised he looked at me. “I’m sure.” He stared at me for a second.

“What?” I asked, slightly annoyed and frankly uncomfortable.

“Nothing, aren’t you going to have breakfast?” he hooked his thumb in the direction of the eating hall.

“Nope, I lost my appetite.”