(Ch 12)It Started with an Apology

It Started with an Apology

I made my way to the drinks table, my mind completely consumed with thoughts of Tommy. How had my life gotten so complicated? Why couldn’t life just be simple, us liking the people who actually had the capability to return those emotions? If life were like that I could be dating Tommy right now or he and Jess could be having something good going on.

Or you and Scott could still be together.

I chastised the little voice inside of me for bringing that up. Tommy, Scott; they’re my all world seems to revolve around nowadays. One, me desperately trying to find a way to gently let down, to once and for all state that his advances toward me were futile; the other, a guy I have no doubt I still have lingering feelings for and whom I’m still confused about.

Two very different guys, with very different agendas toward me and both of them are driving me insane.

It seemed like just yesterday when I’d only worried about impressing Jackie, my senior year coming up and getting into a good art programme in college. But now that the opposite sex seems to have entered the equation and they’re complicating things to breaking point.

Never in all my years would I have guessed that I’d have such a complicated love life. Just thinking about the two guys in my life has my head spinning and I wonder how it is that certain woman could actually date more than one guy at a time.

Shaking my head clear of any thoughts related to Tommy or Scott, as I reached the drinks table, I almost jumped back in surprise as a can of my favourite soda was handed to me.

Slowly I let my gaze travel to meet a pair of dark eyes studying me. “Grape soda, it’s your favourite right?”

Looking into his eyes I could see he meant to offer the soda as a peace offering. I knew if I took it, it would seem that I had calmed since our last blow out. But I hadn’t calmed or at least, I’d meant what I said about not wanting to talk to him until he could really mean his apology. If Scott really wanted my forgiveness he was going to have to work for it.

I said noting as he looked pleadingly back at me to take the soda. With my hesitation I could see the slight hope he’d been holding onto fade and I weakened inside, suddenly wanting to throw myself into his arms and tell him all was forgiven. But I didn’t. I stayed strong and knew that distancing myself emotionally from him was best.

In fact, physical distance seemed like a good idea too. I turned then, heading in the opposite direction, away from the crowds. Scott was someone I couldn’t deal with right now.

“Aria, wait.” He called and I ignored him. “Can we talk, please?”

“I don’t feel like talking.”

“You don’t have to talk. You could just listen.” He stated still following me.

I spun around suddenly; feeling annoyed by his comment, and caught him off guard. “Didn’t I make myself clear, Scott? I don’t want to see you. It hurts too much.”

He looked pained as he met my gaze. “I know and I’m –”

“No you don’t. You have no idea how much you’ve hurt me, Scott.” I growled angrily.

“Trust me, I do.” he countered.

I couldn’t help myself, I snorted. “Oh and how would you know that? Are you suddenly an expert on what I feel?”

He paused for a moment and I could see he once again considering his words carefully. “I know because I –” he hesitated for only that one second and then as if a flood gate head been opened, everything came pouring out. “I miss you. Every minute I’m away from you hurts me more than I can say. Every time I think about how I treated you and what I said, I want to beat myself up. So yes, I know how much I hurt you, because the moment I pushed you away I started hurting myself in equal measure.”