(Ch 7) It Started With A Surprise

It Started With A Surprise

“What do you think of this one?”

Tommy handed me a picture he’d taken late night of the scenic, picturesque view of the lake.

The moon had been crescent. The sliver of the light it emanated reflected in the almost calm waters of the lake, with dark yet wondrous woodlands that were visible in the background.

I popped another French fry into my mouth, chewing slowly as I studied the picture.

“Hmm…I –” I stopped continuing to analyse it. I found feel Tommy anxiously staring at me, as he awaited my response.

Honestly, I already knew what I thought if the photograph, but since I’m me and this was Tommy I liked to keep him in suspense a little bit longer.

“Aria!” he cracked, like I knew he would. “You could put a guy out of his misery here.”

I burst into fits of laughter, earning a not so subtle glare in my direction. “I’m sorry.” I looked at the photograph a moment longer before giving my honest opinion. “Honestly, I really like it.”

“Really?”

I shook my head, shoving him playfully. “Yes really. I think the one you took of the squirrels in the tree was cute and all, but this one I think will get more attention.”

A slight grin formed on his face. “I really like this one too. What do you guys think?” he handed the picture to Riana and Blaine, who’d joined us only moments ago.

“Wow, you’ve got a really good eye.” Riana complimented.

“You make it sound like you didn’t know that already.” Tommy pointed out, eyeing her critically.

She shrugged. “You’re right, I didn’t.”

Tommy picked up a fry and threw it at her, making us laugh.

“Aria’s right,” Blaine added in agreement, “You should go with this one.”

Tommy took the picture and placed it safely in his portfolio. “I guess it’s settled then.”

“Well, since we have that out of the way,” Riana turned her sights on me, which I knew could only mean trouble, “there’s something I’m dying to ask you.”

I played it cool; being all casual, though inside I was dreading the question I knew she had so wanted to ask.

“And what would that be?” I asked, munching on my burger.

Her eyes held a mischievous glint. “What exactly is going on with you and Scott?”

And there, just as I expected it was out. I looked nervously from Riana and Tommy, curious to see how intent he was in hearing the answer. Tommy just shrugged and busied himself by sorting out his already sorted photographs, but I could tell by the way his body tensed he was listening very closely for my reply.

I turned my attention back to Riana. “We’re just…”

Just what? I couldn’t just say we were in a no strings attached agreement. For one she would never believe me, because… well… it’s me we’re talking about. Aria Jenson doesn’t do ‘no strings attached’ or at least the old one didn’t.

And for another, Tommy was sitting right next to me. It was way to awkward to be talking about this in front of him now that I actually knew how he felt about me. Besides, I wasn’t one to rub things in other peoples faces and I especially wasn’t about to flaunt Scott and I in front of him.