(Ch 5) It Started With A Midnight Dip

The next two days I avoided Scott like the plague. Though there were certain instances that it wasn’t always possible, like at dinner. I’d made some excuse at lunch that I wanted to work on a painting I was trying to perfect and thankfully the others – meaning Riana – hadn’t thought this suspicious at all.

I’d thought Scott would call me out and tell everyone what was really going on, but he’d just sat there, not even acknowledging that I’d basically lied about what I was doing. It was funny really; I’d half expected him to make some sort of effort to talk to me, especially after the way he’d acted. It was clear he hadn’t been too happy about my decision to keep away from him.

Maybe he saw that his fight for my affection would be fruitless. But would it be, really? I know what I’d said and I still stand by it, but the way Scott had made me feel was so… different. Is that even the right word to use?

I’d been scared, yes. I mean it’s not everyday that a girl loses control like that. I felt so damn frustrated and confused about what I wanted. Scott had it clear that he’d wanted me. I can still feel the shiver running down my spine as his whispered words play in my head.

Ahh… Scott Grayson, what are you doing to me?

It was Tuesday and one of those extremely hot days. The sun was slowly setting over the horizon, but I knew we would feel no relief from the heat even with the sun down. I was walking over to the eating hall when I bumped into Blaine.

“Hey, I haven’t seen you today.” I greeted, smiling at him.

“Hey, I could say the same about you.” he eyed me and I suddenly felt uneasy. With Blaine, I don’t know how but he had an uncanny way of reading people. And it was a talent he used to annoy me with. “So, what’s going on with you and Scott?”

“What do you mean?” I feigned ignorance, but of course it didn’t work with him.

“Please, Aria, don’t insult me. I know something’s up, so spill.”

“Where’s Riana?” I asked at a poor attempt to change the subject, but surprisingly it worked.

“Probably with Pete.” He mumbled, grudgingly.

Wow, what have I been missing?

“Is everything okay, Blaine?”

He scowled. “Yeah, everything’s just fine.”

“Are you sure, certainly doesn’t look that way to me.”

He sighed, running a hand over his face. “Riana’s been spending a lot of time with Pete, while I barely see her. And when I do see her all she talks about is how wonderful the guy is. Which much to my annoyance I know to be true.”

I couldn’t believe this, but Blaine was actually jealous. I thought the guy was incapable it such petty emotions. Seriously, you might think that he is just like everyone else, but Blaine is, well… wise beyond his years. He was the type of guy who was usually the bigger man in a fight – that’s if he ever got into a fight and I had a feeling he would if he felt his relationship with Riana was at stake, which I know it isn’t.

“Blaine,” I took him by the hand and steered him off the path so we could talk in private. “Firstly, if Riana knew you were jealous she’d probably think it’s hot.” I joked hoping to get a smile, but no such luck.

“And secondly,” I went on, “Riana loves you. I don’t know what she’s been telling you, but every night I literally have to ask her to keep quiet about you. You’re all she talks about and I wouldn’t worry about Pete. He’s got nothing on you.”