(Ch 3) It Started With an Assignment

Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is acrane and concealed - Khalil Gibran

It Started With an Assignment.

For the rest of the week I avoided Scott. It wasn’t that hard to do considering he seemed to be doing the same too. I guessed he sensed that I would most likely kill him if he made contact. That or he was done screwing with me.

Yeah, I don’t think it’s the latter either.

Things at Art Haven seemed to be falling back into place. Raina and Blaine were in their usual lovey-dovey mood; Tommy went back to being the flirt who chased just about every girl he could get close to, leaving me with something to laugh about. Classes were going great. The only thing that was out of sorts was my obsessive wonderings about why Scott was voiding me.

Since I came to the conclusion that Scott in fact wasn’t done messing with me, a conclusion that was drawn when I caught him watching me one night while we all gathered about the campfire enjoying some social time, I knew there had to be another reason he wasn’t talking to me. Not that we ever had a decent conversation. In fact most of our little chats ended up with me storming out on him because of his perverted mind.

Why was this bothering me so much? It’s not like I actually enjoyed the attention he was giving me, especially since he called me mediocre.

I felt like yelling, letting out all my frustrations about Scott Grayson. All I wanted was to talk to someone about it and though I did have Raina, she would just blow everything out of proportion, saying that I had a thing for him by way of explaining my obsession.

And trust me; I definitely didn’t have a thing for him.

The funny part about this would be if he really didn’t care about messing with me anymore. After all he was a pretty busy guy in these last few days.

Tommy and Blaine had informed me and Raina about Scott’s disappearing acts in the night. He’d be in their room in the evenings and the suddenly he’d make some excuse, saying he had somewhere he needed to be and wouldn’t be back until eleven or twelve.

Raina and I both found this suspicious, but boys will be boys. They believed that Scott was actually wondering off to meet a girl. And apparently it’s happens almost every night. I wouldn’t even believe the guys if it wasn’t for the fact that I saw him chatting up a different girl almost everyday. Well it seems that someone was getting exactly what he wanted elsewhere. No matter though, it’s not like I wanted to take up his offer.

I think it best not to think about Scott and what he does or doesn’t do. It was Monday morning, a fresh day, a new week, with new possibilities and a chance for me to forget anything Scott related.

But this wasn’t so easy.

I practically skipped into the eating hall, feeling a renewed source of energy surge through my veins. It felt good to be alive. I couldn’t wait to get my hands on a paint brush, to get them dirty and to be consumed by my work.

I got myself some breakfast and headed over to my usual table. I brought a strawberry to my mouth, biting down, letting its sweet nectar fill my mouth. I was about to take a seat when I noticed an extra member joining us this morning.

“There you are.” Tommy announced when he saw me. “Come, we’ve been waiting for you.”

I smiled at everyone, a bit forced, but still it was a smile. I stood were I was as I considered my options. I could either; make some excuse and escape while I could, or I could take the only seat left, which was next to Scott, and try to enjoy this morning with my friends.