(Ch 14) It Started with the Unexpected

It Started with the Unexpected

Art enables us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time – Thomas Merton

***

Parents’ Day came around sooner than expected. Had we really been here three and a half weeks already? It seems like only yesterday I’d walked this very same path, starting my first day at Art Haven. Now, I walked this path in the hopes of seeing my parents. Raina and Blaine were both with me, they too going to meet their parents. Though only Blaine’s mother could make it, his dad had to work.

The two walked hand in hand, whispering to each other, while I let my mind wonder off thinking how uneventful the last two days had been.

I didn’t see much of Tommy or Scott after the day I spoke to them. Though, Tommy had joined us for dinner last night, along with Jess. I was so thrilled to see him, but things were a bit awkward between us. I however couldn’t help the elation I felt when I witnessed Tommy and Jess together. It’s clear something was starting there. I’m not sure how long it would take Tommy to move on from his crush on me, but the way Jess hung onto his every word – and by this I mean laughing at his not so funny jokes – I knew it would only be a matter of time before she had him falling for her charm.

Fingers crossed.

Scott on the other hand, I’d seen in class of course. He’d greeted me in passing, but there was no real conversation between us. I missed him actually. Yes I know I’d said I needed time to regain my trust in him, but when I said that I didn’t mean that we couldn’t be friends. Maybe it’s asking too much just to be friends after everything we’d been through together.

How could we be friends when we knew how good it felt to be together, that we could have all that back with more, if I wasn’t being so stubborn?

Though I have to admit, I have seen a change in him. At first I thought I was just imagining things, but then Jackie confronted me, asking if I knew what was going on with him. I of course had no idea and told her that we weren’t exactly on speaking terms lately. I didn’t tell her why, that would be awkward. But I could see she had some understanding that this had to do with the fight and our break up.

She didn’t question it though, thankfully, but she did mention that Scott had seemed… nicer. He’d apologised to her for his wild and inappropriate behaviour, even going so far as apologising for the night he’d found out about his mom, all the things he’s said to her.

I knew that Scott felt sorry about how he’d treated his aunt that night, so it came as no surprise to me that he’d apologised. What did surprise me though was his apology to Tommy. At first I couldn’t believe it that he’d been the bigger man and apologised first. But Jackie said she was there and she saw it first hand.

Well, it seems people can change if they really wanted to. I wonder how long this change would last. I knew Mr Grayson was coming today. Would he too see the change we’ve all seen in his son? Could this change possibly bring the Grayson men closer together?

I sincerely hoped so. No matter what was going on between me and Scott, I still loved him and wanted him to find happiness, especially where his father was concerned.

“Aria,” a voice called in the distance. I blinked as a hand waved in front of my face and my name was called again. “Aria? I think we’ve lost her.”

I sent Blaine a sarcastic look. “Funny, Blaine. I’m right here.”

“Sure looks like you’re a million miles away.” Raina pointed out. “What are you thinking about?”