Chapter 11 : Jeff's bullies

Chapter 11 

A few days later...

Alex POV

Nick was visiting home this weekend because it was his mom's birthday or something like that...

So after school today, he got picked up.

I was alone with Jeff for the weekend, and I had to make sure he was ok. I feel like since I'm older than him, I'm kind of playing the big sister role, and looking out for him. Nick and Jeff are basically my only friends. They accept me for who I am. And if someone does something to them, I'm not going to stand there and watch it happen.

Jeff and I were walking down to the cafeteria for dinner.

Once we sat down, Jeff couldn't seem to sit still. He kept fidgeting and looking around the cafeteria.

"Jeff, what are you looking at?"

"Nothing..."

He turned back to me, and took a bite of his cereal.

"Why do you always get cereal to eat?" I asked.

"Because I like it."

"Don't you ever get tired of it?"

"No... I like it because it's the same every day. I know it'll be there for me."

I looked at him, confused.

"I just don't like change," Jeff said, fidgeting even more.

"Jeff, what's wrong? Do you have to go to the bathroom or something?"

"No, I just really hate it here. Can we please finish dinner upstairs?"

"If I agree, you have to explain why you don't like being down here."

"Whatever, fine. Can we please just go?"

"Yes."

We both went upstairs to our room, and we sat on my bed.

"Ok, explain," I said, finishing my dinner.

"I just hate crowds of people. And there are so many doors in there."

"What's wrong with doors?"

"More places for people to come in."

"So?"

"So, I just get nervous. I don't know how to explain. I just feel scared in crowds, and I don't like it. And I don't like being in class either."

"Why?"

"Before I transferred here, I used to get bullied a lot at school. And it was scary. People would physically hurt me. And most of the time they'd do it in the bathrooms so they wouldn't get caught. That's why I never go to the bathroom at school. I go in our dorm room bathroom before class, and then just hold it until class is over. I'm too afraid of getting hurt again."

I could hear the fear and the pain in his voice. But I was glad that he was opening up to me. Maybe I can get more answers out of him.

"What would they do to you?"

"Anything they could get away with..."

"Did you ever tell anyone?"

"No... They threatened me not to. But you won't tell, will you?"

"No. You can trust me."

"Ok... Good..."

Jeff finished his cereal, and leaned back against my pillows. I put my arm around him gently, and he moved a little closer to me.