Chapter 6: Trouble Brews

Amory grinned at his brother. “Andrew, do you really think you can keep me from doing whatever I want?” He sat down in the chair next to the desk, leaning back and clasping his hands behind his head, the picture of confidence.

To add the last touch to his confident aura, he propped his feet up on the glass surface of Andrew's desk, almost knocking over the statue of a stallion that Andrew had settled on the corner of the desk. 

It helped to relieve the monotony of the endless grey in the place, and it was the one personal touch he had afforded himself. It had been his mother's, and her father's before hers. She'd passed it to him before she'd died and left him and his brother, Amory, alone with their father, who quickly turned abusive. 

Amory knew how much the little blue statue meant to Andrew. He'd made certain that their father never saw it in one of his rages because both boys knew that their father would destroy anything that had been their mother's. He'd taken a punch to the face - earning a split lip - once just so that that Andrew would have time to hide the statue. Andrew had arrived at the door of his bedroom just in time to see it happen. He knew Amory knew what the statue meant to him. And yet, Amory had almost broken it. 

By the triumphant smile on his face, Amory had done it deliberately. 

Andrew didn’t smile back. He loved his older brother, but Amory had been getting out of hand. He was causing all sorts of trouble, and he was upending the no meddling policy of the MBC. Many of the agents were listening to him, and discord was growing. “Amory, I’ll lock you up if I must to keep you from continuing this nonsense. You know why we can’t meddle in human affairs.”

“Why, brother? Why not? We could rule the world if you wanted. Together, no one could stop us. Wouldn’t you like that?” Amory’s eyes glowed with fervor.

Andrew loved seeing his brother excited about something again, but he wasn’t happy with the reason for the excitement. Amory needed to have something to excite and interest him. Ever since he and Andrew had run away to join the MBC's Base here in the alternate reality known as West Gate, he had been beaten. Not in a literal or physical way. That part had ended when Amory decided to take Andrew away from their abusive father and run. But in a mental way, Amory had lost interest.

Andrew couldn’t understand why his vibrant brother had been so sullen when he found out Andrew had been appointed general. He had thought Amory would be happy with him. He’d lived and worked for this moment ever since they’d come to the MBC, and then Amory hadn’t been pleased. Back then, Andrew had been too blind to see it, but now he knew.

Amory had wanted that post. He believed that he, not his little brother, should be in charge of the MBC. He believed he should have been picked instead of Andrew.

Andrew sighed. “Amory, if we meddle in Earth affairs when it doesn’t concern the balance of magic, we risk meddling too far and tipping the balance to the Dark side.”

“Poor deceived boy.” Amory whispered, shaking his head.

Andrew started, wanting to strike back at his older brother for it. His eyes showed his pain and confusion, and Amory grinned, reveling in it. But Andrew didn’t strike back.

Instead, he spoke with calm poise as he sat down in his chair behind the desk. “What am I deceived about, Amory?”

“You’ll believe any half-baked, stupid lie that any one tells you just so long as it sounds good, you imbecile.” Amory hissed.

“Don’t forget, Amory,” Andrew reminded with a soft voice. “I am your superior officer. I could have you thrown into a cell if you insist on causing trouble.”