Chapter 16: Falling Hard

Chenn sat against the concrete wall, watching the Gate. He was on late night guard duty – again. But it was more tolerable this time because he had something – or rather, someone – to occupy his thoughts.

Nari.

He still wasn’t sure what he felt for her or what she felt for him. But he knew what all the signs were. He couldn’t stop thinking about her, wanting to be around her, and wondering what she was doing when she wasn’t with him. He fantasized about her smile – it was always overshadowed by his guilt for what he had done to her sister – and heard her laugh playing in his ears as he went through the day.

Yes. He was falling for her. And he was falling hard.

Idiot. He chided himself. That girl has a secret – a big one that runs a mile wide – and you already know that it’s probably nothing good. She’s hiding something, and she has been since she came. When it comes out, there’s a good chance that it’s going to hurt you. He buried his face in his arms, pulling his legs up under his chin. Why do I always end up in these sorts of dilemmas? Now what do I do?

One of the soldiers – Chenn recognized him as Soldier Greene, a man he disliked with intensity – walked by and noticed that he wasn’t watching the Gate.

“Covalenti. Watch that Gate.” Greene snapped.

Chenn rolled his eyes, momentarily distracted from his thoughts about Nari. “What, exactly, do you think is coming through there, Greene?”

Greene glared at him. “Nothing.”

“And, exactly, if you don’t mind my asking, what are we watching the Gate for?” Chenn asked, smiling.

“We’re watching it for… For the things that might come through that Gate.” Greene spluttered.

“The things you just said weren’t coming through?” Chenn gave Greene an innocent look, eyes wide.

“I… Yes, of course.” Greene brushed his grey uniform off, tilting his head up in a display of confidence.

“Why does it matter if I watch the Gate or not seeing as nothing is coming through?” Chenn’s voice lowered into a hiss, and he crossed his arms, glaring at Greene.

“Watch your tone, kid!”

Chenn stood up, lounging in seeming indifference against the iron fencing around the Gate. The electricity was off this time of day, so he didn’t need to worry about nasty voltage surprises. But he wasn’t as indifferent as he looked. He was prepared for anything Greene threw at him.

Giving Greene a snarky smile, Chenn quipped right back. “Watch who you’re calling a kid, Greene.”

Greene’s eyes narrowed, and his face went red. His fists bunched at his side.

Chenn knew that the man would try to punch him now. Men like Greene were all the same. Violent and looking for any excuse to fight. Chenn had just given him that excuse, and he would – of course – act upon it.

Sure enough, Greene threw a punch at Chenn’s cheekbone.

Chenn ducked it, bringing his fist straight up into Greene’s gut as he did so, causing the tall, stocky man to hunch over, wheezing. “Got a problem, Greene?” Chenn snapped. “That the best you’ve got?”

The other man grunted, taking deep breaths as he tried to regain the upper hand.

Chenn had moved around behind him, so he threw another punch at Chenn’s ribs. Chenn danced out of reach. “Pretty slow, aren’t you?” He commented.