Chapter 37: Wedded Bliss

“We’d like you to marry us, Indri.” Chenn said.

“Me? Why me?” Indri looked up from his papers, gazing silently at Chenn. “Why not a minister?”

“Indri, you know that legally, anyone can marry us so long as there are witnesses. We’re of age, and the laws have allowed marriages without a minister for years. We just have to sign our marriage papers and have several witnesses sign them too.” Chenn responded, smiling.

“Well, yes, but I don’t understand why you want that person to be me.” Indri leaned back in his grey, metal chair. He wished there was just a little splash of color in the office. Not a lot. He wasn't an extravagant person. But more than there was now. Which was none.

“Because you’ve been like a father to me.” Chenn answered quietly.

Nari listened to the exchange quietly, leaning against Chenn. He had one arm around her shoulders as he spoke to Indri.

“Does Nari want this too?” Indri glanced over at her.

“Oh, yes, Indri! I would be honored if you would marry us.” Nari looked up into his eyes, smiling.

“Well, faced with such persuasive arguments and such a lovely young couple, I can only say yes.” Indri smiled at Chenn. “You found yourself a wonderful bride, Chenn.”

“Thanks, sir!”

“You’re welcome. Now out. I need to do some work, and prepare for the wedding ceremony. When are you having it?” Indri asked.

“We wanted to keep it simple. She said yes a week ago, and we’ve got the dress already. When Andrew found out, he insisted on setting up the room for the reception here on West Base. He also insisted on seeing to making sure that the food and everything else was paid for. We pretty much told him to do what he liked for it. Nari told him what colors and flowers she liked when he asked, but it’s been such a blessing not to have to worry about it.” Chenn grinned.

“That doesn’t answer when you’re having it, Chenn.” Indri glanced back down at his papers.

“Right. Well, we were thinking that we’d have it in two weeks. I know it’s short notice, but we’ve already got the people we wanted in the ceremony involved. There was just you to ask, and we kept it all simple, so it’s almost completely done.” Chenn looked down at Nari, who smiled up at him.

“Alright then. Thanks for the notice. I have to work on paperwork now, Chenn, so you two run along now.” Indri waved a hand at them, shooing them off.

Chenn grinned. “Thanks for accepting the job, Indri.”

“You two are very welcome, I’m sure.” Indri was already distracted and paying attention to his paperwork again.

Chenn laughed softly. The two took the hint and walked out.

“Just think. In a week, we’ll be married, Nari. Married.”

She smiled. “I never would have imagined it was possible. I mean, you and me? We should’ve hated each other by all standards and rights. I spent years hating you for what happened to Hanna, and you… What did you think of me all those years?”

“I guess I hated you too. I mean, your despair and pain haunted me all those years in jail. Every night I dreamed about that day, and it was never anything good.”

She laughed. “Well, I’m just glad that it worked out for us. I never thought I’d get married. Everyone ignored me if they didn’t hate me outright, so I just assumed that no one would ever want to marry me. But when you asked… I was so surprised; I hardly knew what to say.”